On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate a Fantom XA

• Members

I'm in between boards right now in my live rig as my Triton is still in repair limbo. I play with another keys player in the band and together we work out arrangements for top 40 and modern dance, with him grabbing the meat of the songs and I'll attack brass arrangements, string pads, filter washes and various fx. I've been limping along with my Roland XP30 but it's sounds are dated and it's showing signs of road weariness... the mod stick doesn't work, Performance and patch buttons are flaky and occasionally the power plug has issues.

I'd like to replace it ideally with either the Juno GI or spend a few more bones and get the MOX6. I have an opportunity to snag a Fantom XA cheap... $400. I know it's limitations... {censored}ty keybed (I suffered with a Triton LE once) no aftertouch (playing live I don't use it anyway). I owned a Fantom S once and wasn't thrilled with the soundset, but this I believe had some of the upgraded S sounds. This would strictly be a gig board... I'd basically create my setups, edit appropriate patches and I'd probaly leave it in our trailer between shows. In other words I'm buying this as a 'beater' rather than spend $1200 I could put toward a Kronos and deal with intense depreciation after the purchase. The question is... can the Fantom XA take a beating? I owned a Fantom S a while back and it was built like a tank. I'm really not too hard on gear, I case everything and I always make sure to clean pots and transport my most delicate stuff myself. Still gigging every weekend is a little like touring sometimes and the nature of our shows lends itself that I don't bring out pristine gear to get knocked into, spilled on and the lot!

I need to make a decision by Thursday. The XA has never been gigged with and is in good condition. The guy is just desperate and needs cash fast.

Any strong recommendations yay or nay?

• Members

I absolutely love the Juno GI for dance music. Such an easy board to set up for live performance and 1000's of patches and performances to choose from and edit. I traded mine for a Roland RD300NX to have weighted keys. It will be dearly missed but I simply could not afford both.

I do not care for the Fantom XA, dated sounds as well.

Beware the Juno GI will not take a beating for it is plastic.

• Members

Beware the Juno GI will not take a beating for it is plastic.

Unfortunately that's going to be the case with any entry-level board, including the Yamaha MM6 and the various plastic Korgs--X50, PS60, MicroSTATION, etc.

• Members

I hate romplers in general and have sold mine. Nevertheless, when in the local GC, I always gravitate to the Motifs. Even though they are cryptic to program, they don't make me scratch my head in frustration just trying to audition sounds.

I don't get the Fantom interface at all.

Archived