iZotope Iris

MuzikB

• Members

ahh, ok.

not familiar with how this works, how would you isolate a sound as stated above? and why can this not be done with vocals?

any software that can do this?

EDIT: googling now. i know about center cancelling and phase inversion, just wondering if there's been any breakthroughs in this area lately.

• Members

ahh, ok.

not familiar with how this works, how would you isolate a sound as stated above? and why can this not be done with vocals?

any software that
can
do this?

EDIT: googling now. i know about center cancelling and phase inversion, just wondering if there's been any breakthroughs in this area lately.

[video=youtube;FBrPGHmPhuA]

[video=youtube;R845H0Y_FbI]

• Members

interesting, thanks! seems a bit similar in operation, no?

They do look similar as far as interface and visuals [although the R-Mix is more powerful as it shows you the frequencies in color], but the software MuzikB is talking about is much more powerful in my opinion. It's a basically a synth and a sampler.

I just downloaded the demo version on my laptop but I don't have an audio interface, so the onboard sound chip was processing the sound and it sucked [crackling sound, distortion, etc]. But I recorded a "bzzz" sound with my voice using my handheld recorder [Zoom H4n] and manipulated it using the LFO, envelope and effects in Iris and it's very interesting. The bzzz sound turned into a very weird effect. I think this program is good for creating sound effects for example.

I don't know if you can manipulate sound in the Roland R-Mix the way you can in Iris. But as you saw in the videos above, the R-Mix is amazing as far as frequency isolation because you can actually see the different frequencies in different colors.

I am going to use the Zoom H4n as an audio interface itself and see if I get better audio output with Iris.

It was difficult for me to use this program because I am new to virtual stuff, but I'm sure it will be much easier for those who are used to making music directly on their computer.

Thanks MuzikB:)

• Members

No problem Med.

Ok, a full sound has harmonics all over the place covering several frequencies. Iris is not in color so you can only discern the content for the spectral analysis frequency bands. If a song were minimal enough, you could just isolate what you want.

The way it is though, it would be a hell of a lot more useful for film work. Say you've got an actress talking and there's a low rumble in the background. The separation of frequencies would be clearly shown in the spectrograph and you could "draw out" what you wanted.

• Members

Tried the demo and it was interesting to be sure but too heavy on my CPU to consider actually using it! A common problem with softsynths, I can't afford to upgrade my laptop every time a new softsynth comes out.

As far as doing audio restoration with Iris, it's based on RX2 which costs a lot more :(

Archived