Searching for a new amp... maybe some can relate

bluesboy

• Members

The guy I play guitar with has good gear.... A marshall TSL, marshall 4X12, and a LP studio with classic 57/57+. His tone was good, but not outstanding.

Recently, he bought a brand new LP standard... I never thought there would be a big difference between a studio and standard, but when I played it through his setup I could not believe my ears. Now his tone is outstanding.

My predicament is that my gear is not as good... I don't begrudge him having good gear at all... I am happy for him. However, I am dissatisfied with my tone. Not that I have bad tone, but I dont consider it "outstanding" tone. So, I was thinking of getting a new amp, something with nice built in distortion.

My current gear is an Epi LP with seth lovers (it's a nice guitar!) and a fender deluxe reverb. I use pedals for my distortion sound. we play stuff like Lenny Kravitz, Lynyrd Skynrd, ACDC, stone temple pilots, buckcherry, etc.

Combos are more practical for me... I was thinking a DSL combo, but am open to any otehr ideas. Any suggstions?

• Members

around $1000

Are you mainly looking for the Marshall sound? The reason I ask is because there are a bunch of amps in your price range that have both good clean and mean and will mesh with a DSL very well in a band.

For instance, my Mesa F-100 2x12 combo sounded great with my singer's TSL 100 half-stack. You might also like to look into Rivera which have great Fender cleans and reverb, plus a Marshall-inspired overdrive channel. VHT has a combo that may work like the Fifty-Twelve. Also, Mesa just released the new Express series with switchable power levels (50 W and 5 W) and tons of features for around your price new.

• Members
Are you mainly looking for the Marshall sound? The reason I ask is because there are a bunch of amps in your price range that have both good clean and mean and will mesh with a DSL very well in a band.

For instance, my Mesa F-100 2x12 combo sounded great with my singer's TSL 100 half-stack. You might also like to look into Rivera which have great Fender cleans and reverb, plus a Marshall-inspired overdrive channel. VHT has a combo that may work like the Fifty-Twelve. Also, Mesa just released the new Express series with switchable power levels (50 W and 5 W) and tons of features for around your price new.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions :thu:

Archived