School me about Preamp tubes and problems with them...

Random Hero

• Members

After my recent episode, first with a microphonic Mesa 12AX7, and then having a Tung Sol just dying on me within an hour of putting it in the amp, my preamp tubes are fine again now, fingers crossed. Plus, with the recent changes i've made, my Mark IV sounds even better than it did to begin with :eek:

Anyway, when I got that first microphonic tube, I didn't have a clue what was going on, and again, when the tung sol died, I was a little miffed. Obviously those two experiences will help me in the future, but what else can go wrong with preamp tubes, that I should look out for, so I can diagnose the problem quickly?

• Members

why'd the tung sol die so fast, and how did you know you had a bad tube?

It was in v1, the clean channel was none-existent, and the lead channel sounded like a clean channel. Swapped in a tube I knew was fine, and no problem. I replaced it with another Tung Sol the next day, and it's fine now.

• Members
Dude, preamp tubes are the little tubes that run the preamp. They go bad, it happens. Keep a few spares on hand so that when something doesn't sound right you can swap them out to see if one of the preamp tubes is the culprit.

Simple. Don't over-anal-yze it.

I know what preamp tubes are and what they do ;)

Archived