High Sensitivity input Vs. Low Sensitivity

Sgt. Funk

• Members

I think Mxr20 is onto something. My Trace Elliot TA35CR acoustic amp has a switch labeled "Piezo/Active". The manual states, "With the switch set to Piezo the input impedance is extremely high i.e 4 million Ohms. This will perfectly match any peizo device giving a clear and accurate response with no degredation to the signal. With the switch set to active the impedance is much lower 47k Ohms and the sensitivity much lower. This will match instruments with a built in preamp without fear of clipping the input. If however your active instrument has an insuffucuent level of output... it is perfectly alright to switch back to the piezo setting to increase the sensitivity to a level that works best with your instrument."

• Members

What exactly are the differences between the two?

The low sensitivity input seems tighter, less gain, cleaner.

Well, they were initially implimented to volume match higher output pickups with lower output pickups. The idea was that you could plug a Les Paul into the low sensitivity input and a Strat into the high sensitivity input and not have to change your volume settings.

Of course, this was back before guitars used really compressed sounding distortion all the time :)

• Members

I assume you're referring to guitar amp inputs.

Basically, Low input for high output pickups; High input for everything else.

That seems about right.

I can run my guitars with EMG's through the low input on my Peavey Ultra and cover just about any type of metal with the gain set at about 2-3 o'clock.

• Members

What exactly are the differences between the two?

The low sensitivity input seems tighter, less gain, cleaner.

just differences in gain level, a hi input with the gain knob turned down is the same as a low input turned up

Archived