Marshall DSL100 owners, does your FX loop sucks?

dufe32

• Members

I adore my DSL100 but when I put my G-Major in the fx loop it's noisy as {censored}, I dunno maybe it's only mine but if it's like that, I will let go the G-Major and get {censored}ing pedals... When I say noisy, I mean it's like when you're pushing the gain channel, you can hear all the "shhhhhhhh". The noise gate of the G-Major isn't bad but on some presets it's just awful, it completely {censored}s up the preset, I don't want to use it (I hate noise gates anyway). And no, my input/output knobs are not all the way up on the G-Major. Does any DSL100 user experienced this?

• Members

It's alot more sensitive to ground loop noise than other amps. I discovered this when I had a Rocktron Replifex and I switched from using a 5150 amp to a Marshall DSL 50. You may have a ground loop noise problem with your G-Major. Do you have it in a rack with something else, like a power conditioner or rack tuner?

• Members

Couple things it could be. If its a ground loop, you need to get an EbTech "Hum Eliminator" Its a passive pedal size box you put in line with your rig, much better than hum frees.

Its possibly a level mismatch. Try tweaking the FX send/return levels or see if the FX unit has a +4/-10 setting.

• Members

I don't think the hum-frees are it, he's getting hiss, not hum.

I have the same setup and don't have a problem, check your levels on the G-major, and also check the level inside each preset. Also make sure the kill dry isn't "on".

Sounds like a level issue with the G-major to me, also try plugging a pedal through the loop to see what happens.

Also, play with the FX loop button on the back of the Marshall.

• Members

I will also try the level thing, maybe it'll help a bit. Thanks again for those infos. I used the G-Major in the FX loop of a Mesa Stiletto and I wasn't geting all that noise, I thought maybe it was my amp that was {censored}ed up.

• Members

I don't think the hum-frees are it, he's getting hiss, not hum.

I have the same setup and don't have a problem, check your levels on the G-major, and also check the level inside each preset. Also make sure the kill dry isn't "on".

Sounds like a level issue with the G-major to me, also try plugging a pedal through the loop to see what happens.

Also, play with the FX loop button on the back of the Marshall.

I was getting hiss more than hum with mine and when I installed the hum-frees, it was gone. You just need to isolate the fx unit and power conditioner from eachother, that will kill the ground loop.

Start with the cheapest solution and go up from there.

• Members

Well, tried the fx loop button, still get that hiss in a worst kinda way. I removed my G-Major from the rack to kinda isolate it and I still get that hiss. Maybe I'm being fussy or snob, and maybe that hiss is totally normal but I don't find this very amusing, it was dead silent when I was using it with a rack preamp and power amp. I'll try to do the same test with another head.

• Members

I run Boss stomps thru my DSL50 and it's great. Very little noise or tone sucking from what I can tell. It's better than the TSL loop I've used, which either sucked the tone (series) or wasn't in the mix enough (parallel).

• Members

This is gonna sound stupid and I've never done that before that but I will try the G-Major in front of the amp instead of the fx loop. Probably a crappy idea but I gotta try it.

• Members

I'm using an old Roland GP-8 in the effects loop of my DSL 100 and I'm not having a problem with excessive noise.

But I have to use the effects somewhat moderately or else I WILL get a bunch of noise.

I wonder if pre-amp tubes generate a lot of hiss if they're not very good.

Maybe try changing pre-amp tubes?

Just a thought....... I know very little about this stuff. :o

-

• Members

I'm no tube wizard myself, so hopefully someone will know about that. Your statement makes sense. I get the hiss even when I'm on the bypass mode, and I rarely use effects, only for a couple of songs actually.

Archived