Framus Cobra problems

Raypd Ayp

• Members

I just picked up a used Framus Cobra this morning... hooked it up, turned it on, it lit up, plugged in and... nothing. No sound unless I crank the volume on the crunch channel, and then it cuts in and out and not very loud. My cables are all brand new, no shorted jacks anywhere on my guitar or cab.

I'm no electrical engineer so I'm not sure what's going on. The only thing I can think of is the tubes worked loose during shipping, but I didn't get the chance to open the chassis to re-seat them. Could that be it? Anyone have any possible ideas I can ponder while I sit at work and wait to get back home tonight to go over it again?

• Members

I'm right on Rt. 11 just north of Reymour Chevrolet. Give me a shout after 11AM and I can give you directions 505-6604. I'm here all the time, I just try not to work after 6 if I can help it.

Jerry

• Members

Jerry found the problem in minutes, and minutes later it was fixed! Thanks Jerry!

Now, I just need it retubed because the ones in it are friggin SHOT. Doesn't sound all that great, garbage undertones and just lacking overall.

Any tube suggestions?

V1-V5 are ECC83's I think, but I'm not dead set on those, and V6-V9 are EL34's, I'd like to keep that type in there.

• Members

I've had that happen a bunch of times on all my amps..Usually when I'm screwing around, swapping tube's.

So was that the problem?

It seems unfair when people Blame the amp for the problem with a tube..

Then people say a brand is unreliable and it gets a bad rep.

99% of the problems I've seen with the Cobra problem threads or any amp for that matter have been related to tube's

• Members

There were a couple resistors(?) that had broken loose, due to an earlier repair, and a speaker cable jack tip was lodged in one of the speaker outputs. A little soldering and some fiddling and it was all set.

Now I know the problem with the sound is the tubes, just have to figure out what I'm going to put in there. Think I'm going to hang on to this one for a while.

• Members

Jerry found the problem in minutes, and minutes later it was fixed! Thanks Jerry!

Now, I just need it retubed because the ones in it are friggin SHOT. Doesn't sound all that great, garbage undertones and just lacking overall.

Any tube suggestions?

V1-V5 are ECC83's I think, but I'm not dead set on those, and V6-V9 are EL34's, I'd like to keep that type in there.

I have a NOS Mullard in V1, NOS RFT in V2 & V3, EH in V4 (effects loop buffer) and a Tung Sol in V5/PI. Power tubes are TAD (Ruby/Chinese) EL34B-STR's.

I used to have a mix of Tung Sols, chinese and Electro-Harmonix in the preamp.

Chinese = aggressive, middy

EH = bright, raw

Tung Sol = smooth, compressed

• Members

I have a NOS Mullard in V1, NOS RFT in V2 & V3, EH in V4 (effects loop buffer) and a Tung Sol in V5/PI. Power tubes are TAD (Ruby/Chinese) EL34B-STR's.

I used to have a mix of Tung Sols, chinese and Electro-Harmonix in the preamp.

Chinese = aggressive, middy

EH = bright, raw

Tung Sol = smooth, compressed

Thanks, I'm going to look into those.

Side note, I decided to take a pic of my new rig:

Dean MLX7 (EMG707), Epi LP w/Floyd and EMG81's (I have an ESP and an Ibanez that are not at home right now), Avatar cab w/G12H30's.

rig_1.jpg

• Members

Any tube suggestions?

You're welcome, anytime! Knowing the guys in Remnants of 3 your almost family! ;) Stop back up sometime and we can try some new tubes in it, I have a bunch here in stock.

Jerry

Archived