let's just say you're building a software synthesizer from scratch...

• Members

like me. I've built a sequencer, so the next logical step is a synth.

I don't know about you, but figuring out these VST beasts does NOT seem intuitive...

So my goal is as bare bones of a softsynth that still does a good job.

I've been thru the oscillator=>ampEnv=>filter=>pan=>mix=>fx (lfo,env,etc,etc) learning curve, so I've got the basics down.

My idea is JUST use (optionally stereo) .WAV files as an oscillator (and much of the rest of the steps if they can).

A given sound is mapped to either a directory of layered multisamples or just a single dang .WAV file. The .WAVs will need frq,key,cent set correctly and optional loop points.

All the program changes a midi file does build a list of sounds to load in and use.

So a sound is JUST a single or multiple (key,velo switched) .WAV files.

You'll eventually pass the sound thru a filter (especially so low key velocity filters out the hi freqs of the sample - mellowing it). And FX. But to start off, no filter or fx.

As far as modulation goes, I'm thinking that instead of making LFOs and envelopes, I use what I call "modWaves". A set of points interpolated into a curve like a .WAV file is, but not flipping from -1 to 1 over 0. Instead just a curve ranging from 0..1.

It'll be mod-able by key,velo,other CCs to control it's speed and amplitude.

The curve will also have loop points so it can keep going thru a note held a LONG time.

This way, I can make an LFO that sort of "fades out" over time.

Pretty much an exact envelope spec'd as a .WAV file.

I'm not sure if there are decent enough .WAV editors to do this.

I think you can edit individual samples with Audacity, but I don't think it's easy...

I'll have to see.

So far I have this thing interpolating, mixing and panning.

But no filter or fx yet. I'll need to figure those out more.

And before I do the full fledged "modWave" thing, I just gotta

get a release curve to fade out samples after noteup.

Playing till end of sample gives the notes WAY too long

a tail (as if hold pedal is down).

So my MAIN QUESTION is - let's say you were stuck using this thing

as your main synth.

What would be your biggest complaint?

Or if you have any general comments that'll help me :)

• Members

I'm not sure drawing out curves in Audacity will work very well... I think you can bump samples up and down, but i don't THINK you can easily draw curves.

So far I'm thinkin just use mspaint's curve tool, save the .bmp, and I write a little app that loads the .bmp and takes a look at the top pixel's y from x=0..max and scales it from y=0=0.0 to y=max=1.0. Then interpolate through this set of values like I do with regular samples in order to pitch em, but this becomes an amplitude envelope (or, a frqCutoff or frqRes envelope).

So, you'ld have a set of standard "envelope shapes" that could be scaled over a sample's amplitude, filter's frqCut,frqRes, fxAmount, etc.

From notedown thru noteup. And another set of curves for release phase.

Ok, I'm kinda just thinkin' out loud here...

Archived