What are some good Rhodes Jazz recordings other than Herbie?

• Members

You can't limit a genre to instruments...

You can play standards on guitars, and with wind instruments... so saying a piano is OK but a Rhodes isn't, doesn't sound right to me. But to each their own... what you are saying seems to be more rooted in your personal taste than anything else.

Actually it's more rooted in the taste of most of the jazz fans and players I've encountered on jazz forums. I remember one guy who told me he couldn't bear to listen to any Hammond organ in jazz, although he didn't mind it in blues or rock. That's a strange segregation to me.

I doubt there is a big audience for electric piano-based swing and bop, but I could be wrong. I don't personally mind, as long as it's well-played. Of course, there isn't a huge audience these days for swing or bop on any instrument.

• Members

It's not just me, Christian...

http://www.billevans.nl/Midipage.htm

Bill Evans playing the electric piano is rather controversial. Some purists disapprove Bill Evans playing the Fender Rhodes piano, whereas he should deny his recognisable touch on the acoustic grand piano with his characteristic chord voicings.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2300719/digital_piano_on_a_jazz_trio_r

I am just wondering if any of you have ever recorded a jazz piano trio record with a digital piano?.....i am considering doing this with a cp300....

You can't find a studio with a well-maintained acoustic piano?

Is it not within your budget?

There would have to be a very good reason to use anything but an acoustic piano to record a jazz piano trio.

I've done it when the studios piano was {censored}.

• Members

It's not just e-piano and organ, either.

Electric bass (both bass guitar and electric upright) to the point where some have claimed that you can't swing on an electric bass (guess they never heard Steve Swallow, Bob Cranshaw or Jerome Harris?), solid body electric guitars (as opposed to electric archtops which are acoustics fitted with pickups), amplified winds and brass...pretty much anything that's plugged in is frowned upon by jazz purists.

Keith Jarrett has gone on record that he doesn't consider his playing with Miles Davis as even being music...pretty funny when you see how into it he is in numerous videos of his electric performances :rawk:

• Members

Keith Jarrett has gone on record that he doesn't consider his playing with Miles Davis as
even being music
...pretty funny when you see how into it he is in numerous videos of his electric performances
:rawk:

However, if Keith had started using the Rhodes in his standards trio, I can't believe it would have been well received by critics and fans.

Then again, a lot of organ trios played standards and that worked. However, organ trios usually let the organ cover the bass and added a guitarist, so it's a different dynamic.

• Members

Some good replies here regarding Hampton Hawes, Walter Bishop (check the Black Jazz LPs) and the like. The Gene Ammons and Friends at Montreux is a great bop LP employing rhodes from Hampton Hawes. Theres some great stuff here from George Cables with Freddie Hubbard

Also check out Fal Frett on youtube (the LP is uploaded to Never Enough Rhodes). :D

Archived