ampeg combo ss-70 1x12 any good?

lumpy555

• Members

Those are pretty rare these days. Since it oughtta have the same preamp the other SS amps (like the renowned SS-150) which in theory is the same preamp as the VH series, it should have a nice, heavy distortion that's good for metal and useable for hard rock, and a pristine clean channel. If the price is right, then at the very least it should make for a killer practice amp. Depends on what kind of tones you're going for.

• Members

I had one for awhile with an added Celestion G12T-100.Great amp for nice,sparkling cleans to over the top modern metal tones.I really didn't care for the amp's voicing for lead work in the distortion channel,as I couldn't seem to dial in enough warm lower mids to fit my soloing style.I'm more of a hot rodded vintage Marshall type tone guy,so the SS-70's brigher top end and unique mid voicings were just not my cup of tea.Things that I did like were the clean channel,excellent series fx loop and reverb,available volume,separate EQ's and reverbs,build quality and it's heavier tones for metal chording and riffs.Btw,it sounded great for the style of the guy that I sold it to [Metalica,Slayer,etc...].So in my opinion,a superb solid state combo that just didn't quite fit my tonal needs.

Ed

Archived