Safe to run only one 8 ohm cab?

unit11

• Members

Maybe a stupid question, but on the back of the Orange Tiny Terror there are two 8 ohm jacks: Is it safe to run only one cab at a time, or do I have to run two cabs for it to work without blowing something?

(I normally use the one 16 ohm jack, but I'm using a buddy's cab for practice right now, and it is 8 ohm.)

Questions like this make me wish it had a manuel...

• Members

I've done a little poking around else where, so correct me if I'm wrong :

It is safe for me to run one 8 ohm cab.
It is safe for me to run one 16 ohm cab.

The two 8 ohm cab outputs are for running two 16 ohm cabs simultaneously.

That last seems strange: This is running the cabs in parallel, then, right? And that is why they show 8 ohm? And it also doesn't matter which 8 ohm jack I use if I'm using just one 8 ohm cab?

• Members

I would read it as: You can plug in one 8 ohm speaker or you can plug in two 8 ohm speakers. My guess is that what they are saying is that the amp's output transformer can handle 8 ohms alone or two 8 ohm speakers (probably a 4 ohm load) If you have two 16 ohm cabs, I would wire them in parallel and plug the result into one of the 8 ohm outputs.

• Members

I would read it as: You can plug in one 8 ohm speaker or you can plug in two 8 ohm speakers. My guess is that what they are saying is that the amp's output transformer can handle 8 ohms alone or two 8 ohm speakers (probably a 4 ohm load) If you have two 16 ohm cabs, I would wire them in parallel and plug the result into one of the 8 ohm outputs.

Incorrect.

The two 8 ohm outputs are wired together in PARALLEL so that the impedance you present to one (or both) of them must equal 8 ohms at the transformer tap. Therefore you can either plug a single 8 ohm cabinet into EITHER or two 16 ohm cabinets into BOTH ( 16//16 = 8 ). A single 16 ohm cabinet should be plugged into the 16 ohm output.

These are the only configurations for the Orange TT and it is an Orange standard. It is stupid that there is no manual though.

• Members

it's on their FAQ too:

What outputs do I use when I'm using an extension cabinet?

When using two speaker cabinets with Orange heads, both cabinets must have an impedance of 16 ohms. Plug each cabinet into an 8 ohm output. Do not mix cabinets of different impedances - harm may come to your amplifier as a result.

In order for you to use an extension cabinet with a combo you need the internal speakers in the combo to be wired to 16 ohms. If your combo is loaded with a pair of 8 ohm speakers they will be wired to give a 16 ohm total load. You also need to have an extension cabinet wired to 16 ohms. Plug the internal speakers into one of the 8 ohm outputs on the amplifier. Plug the cabinet into the other 8 ohm output on the amplifier. Do not use extension cabinets wired to anything other than 16 ohms - harm may come to your amplifier as a result.

Archived