Voodoo Lab Preamp Questions.

JohnRageOn

• Members

Does anybody have the Voodoo Lab preamp. I'm considering buying one used to pair it with a 20 watt tube poweramp and a VHT 1x12 cab for home practice and recording.

It gets many good critics but I haven't heard one in person. How's the clean and especially the rhythm and lead channels? How much gain does it have and how it responds to tube changes. The only thing I know is that Bogner designed it. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

• Members

Does anybody have the Voodoo Lab preamp. I'm considering buying one used to pair it with a 20 watt tube poweramp and a VHT 1x12 cab for home practice and recording.

It gets many good critics but I haven't heard one in person. How's the clean and especially the rhythm and lead channels? How much gain does it have and how it responds to tube changes. The only thing I know is that Bogner designed it. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

I had to drop a 12AT7 in V1 to bring the gain down, otherwise after 10 oclock it started to feel very compresed. After the tube swap, everything sounds way better IMHo. The clean is nice and round, and the gain channels sound thick, and have enough gain to satisfy most. The voicing reminds me a little of the Shiva I had a while back actually, but the pre has more gain, and a little more upper midrange. I could be crazy though. Not too shabby. Not my favorite preamp, but it sounds pretty darn good (after the tube swap)IMHO.

• Members

I owned one and didn't really care for it.

Not a {censored} ton of gain, but what was there was mostly not real useable past about 1/2 way.

I guess I didn't care for the overall voicing either. If that is what a Shiva is voiced like, I wouldn'e like one:D

• Members

Not a {censored} ton of gain, but what was there was mostly not real useable past about 1/2 way.

I guess I didn't care for the overall voicing either. If that is what a Shiva is voiced like, I wouldn'e like one:D

I can agree with the stock tubes, the gain channels are not that great. After the tube change, I like mine much more.

Its not the same as the Shiva, but similar in some respects going by memory.

• Members

I had to drop a 12AT7 in V1 to bring the gain down, otherwise after 10 oclock it started to feel very compresed. After the tube swap, everything sounds way better IMHo. The clean is nice and round, and the gain channels sound thick, and have enough gain to satisfy most. The voicing reminds me a little of the Shiva I had a while back actually, but the pre has more gain, and a little more upper midrange. I could be crazy though. Not too shabby. Not my favorite preamp, but it sounds pretty darn good (after the tube swap)IMHO.

Thank you very much for the detailed info. It is very helpful to get an idea. I've played with a Shiva several times and surely is one of the best Bogner products (actually I like it more than XTC).

I have an impression that this unit sounds similar to an SP-77.

I considered buying it because they say it has a CabTone built in (I had this unit and GCX mixer and were quite good).

I'll go and check it out first, if there are still available.

• Members

Gain is not an issue, I'm not using so much but I don't play too much cleans either. Is there string to string articulation and tightness on the gain channels?

• Members

Thank you very much for the detailed info. It is very helpful to get an idea. I've played with a Shiva several times and surely is one of the best Bogner products (actually I like it more than XTC).

I have an impression that this unit sounds similar to an SP-77.

I considered buying it because they say it has a CabTone built in (I had this unit and GCX mixer and were quite good).

I'll go and check it out first, if there are still available.

Not really similar to an SP-77. Had both at the same time. Like the gain channel on the Soldano, but the clean left a lot to be desired. After working witht he Voodoo a bit, I find I like it more.

• Members

Not really similar to an SP-77. Had both at the same time. Like the gain channel on the Soldano, but the clean left a lot to be desired. After working witht he Voodoo a bit, I find I like it more.

I had an SP-77 preamp and didn't like it at all. A friend had bought an X-99 and was miles away.

Archived