Going to a guitar shop on friday, and I need a list of amps I should try

idrisguitar

• Members

didn't think of that laxu, i think i will do that, should allow me to find some great deals.

i have updated my list, with the laney vc and hughes and kettner suggestions.

i know i wont be able to try them all out, but just in case the shop doesn't have a lot of them in stock im taking a big list
:D

i think the one that i will be most looking forward to trying out will be the vox ac30 as its in my price range and its got great feedback, but, as with all the others, i just want to test the tone out for myself.

will be upgrading my pickups on my guitar soon so that should also help.

good luck!

i don't know where you are in the UK, but the wembley guitar centre in london had quite a few of the ones on your list last time i was there (best to ring first though), and they have a soundproof testing room to crank them in.

obviously if you're in newcastle or glasgow or something, might want to look into some other shops, lol.

:thu:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No offence man... but if you're working your ass off for an entire summer and only making $500, you need a new {censored}ing job.

haha, no mate, i will be making more, but i have car insurance and effects to buy also :)

and im in north wales, will be going to manchester, found a few stores there, but if anyone knows of a good store in manchester that woudl eb great too.

• Members

bump

sorry for the double post, but i have two more questions.

which of the amps in my list are good for taking effects and which of them aren't :)

also should i consider adding the fender hot rod deluxe to my list. (not sure about the uk price on that, ahve heard it mentioned though)

• Members

Had a bit of an annoying day yesterday,

managed to get to a dawsons, but they only stock fender and vox.

either way i tried out the ac30 in direct comparison with the fender hot rod deluxe and foudn that my clear favourite was the hot rod.

which suprised me but nonetheless i found the girtyness of the vox wa sill fitting with the soudn we wanted. also i foudnt hat the fender was much quiter than the vox, which is important because the amp will be used for recording.

i will still endevour to get out to the city once more before i think about purchasing anything, theres plenty more amps to try out, johnny roadhouse music i know has just about every other amp on my list.

one questions,

the hot rod in the uk is scandalous. 549, in the us its 599, i could save 250 pounds if i imported it!!!!

can someone confirm that the amp will or will not work in the uk, is it just the power adapter plug or is it more complicated than that?

cause ifi can import my equipment with only worrying about getting the right uk power lead then i could get everything for 2/3s of the price or even less. its that stupid.

• Members

laney of some sort would do you good - cheaper than Orange

aren't they a bit noisy for recording (vc30 im thinking of right now)

i tried the fender blues junior in the shop right beside the fender hot rod deluxe, and i found that compared to the hot rod it was missing, depth of tone.

it was essentially the same amp, but less watts (same speaker and everything) but it was definetly flatter than the hot rod deluxe. and of course the difference in loudness, when i started pumping the blues junior to say gig level volume, it started breaking up a bit. (and warranted a polite warning from the store clerk to, shut the hell up)

i think 30+ watt is what im looking for, even though i know tube amps no matter what are really loud, but it seems they lose depth and warmth in the scale of things too.

dont get me wrong, i am not a watt whore, i just want the best compromise between, tone, live, and recording. and of course price ;)

any opinions on the valve king. simply throwing it out there because it is cheap.

and yeah the fender junior is very expensive over here. :( the rule with uk fender prices.....change the dollar sign to a pound sign and your done. :eek:

• Members

^ i thought the opposite, i thought the BJ had more tone than the HRD, lol.

I'm not sure they're the same amp, the Bj takes el84, the HRD 6L6, i believe.

thats odd,

my brother was with me and totally agreed, i will definetly give them both another try when i get back to the shop and test out the other amps.

gonna go on a selling spree in a few days after that we will have a clearer idea on our budget.

the other thing i liked about the HRD, compared to the ac30 and esp. the blues junior is that the idle noise and hiss of the amp was EXTREMLY low. i foudn that on a semi high vol for the blue jnr. it was quite noisy

im sounding like i have made my decision however i need to test out every amp, im hoping i will find an amp that meets my demmands that is either better or cheaper ;)

but for now the hot rod ticks most of my boxes (tone, quiet for recording, loud enough for gigs,)

cheers for your help and input.

again i will welcome anymore suggestions.

• Members

I don't know anything about the blues deluxe, but I had a HRD for a year, and it sounded great but it was way too loud for the kind of places I play (small to medium size bars and clubs). If 40 watts isn't too loud for you, the HRD is a good choice. If it's too loud, I'd go with something along the lines of 15 to 30 watts.

As far as 6L6's and EL84's go, I am a huge EL84 fan. I think they sound richer and more harmonic than 6L6's.

• Members

^ oh, don't get me wrong, it's a personal preference thing. I'm not saying you were wrong or anything, lol.

oh no i didn;t think that. just explaining my observations.

anyway i have heard the crats give off noise too,

i will have a look at the traynor as i haven't seen them suggested here yet, hopefully that will bring upa few more to try.

im currently tracking two used (but mint) hrd on ebay, i will see how much they go for for a clear idea of what i could be paying if i bought used (maybe have a bid if they are going really cheap)

• Members

^ don't get too excited by traynor, they're dear here.

yeap just found out.

the fender HRD is going for around 350-400 used on ebay so that suits me, esp since i have plenty of time to get one, so if one gets too expensive ill pass until i see another one up.

how much does it cost to service and do minor repairs, (just in case say i buy the amp and its a little more trashed than it showed in the auction) want to make sure its worth it.

missed the blues deville which went for 350!!!! (just serviced too) but maybe that was too loud ;)

• Members

I'm weighing in on the Peavey Classic 30. It sounds amazing (especially after retubing), it takes pedals really well, it's relatively inexpensive, it's easily moddable, and it's LOUD. I play 200 person venues with it all the time. I've heard about people buying them as a "low wattage tube amp to practice at home without scaring the wife" kind of amp, and I'm sure they were disappointed. It's definitely a wonderful amp, and I don't see any reason you should stretch your budget for a bigger name amp when this thing sounds just as good (or better, IMHO) than some of those other amps.

• Members

after reading reveiws on the peavey classic, people seem to suggest that changing out the tube is a good idea.

what are good tubes for clean, maybe might increase clean head room and add warmth.

i will propbably get an amp tech to change them out for me, unless its too expensive.

you know any guides on the internet that would explain to me the anatomy of a tube amp and how to change the power tubes and preamp tubes and speaker etc. it would be somehting i would love to learn but cant seem to get any results on google.

Archived