Vocal monitoring for keys players

Tullsterx

• Members

I have a behringer splitter/mixer that sounds like what moogerfooger uses. Model MX882 I think. Quite flexible, a good choice for keyboard submixing. If only it had mic pres for Leslie mics, it would be perfect.

• Members

Tulls - how do you monitor the keyboards? I used to use roland keyboard amp, but have moved away from that approach. In venues where the sound-man can control FOH sound well, then I just use a single monitor with both a vocal monitor feed from the board and my keyboards. I use a small submixer for my keys and send the board a single keyboard feed. So I can either take the vocal feed into my mixer or feed it directly into my monitor, since it has 2 inputs. I have 2 different monitors that I use depending on the venue and space available - biggest is the new 12" EV and the smaller one is a 10" Alto. Both sound good and have plenty of power. For smaller venues when we want to mix more from the stage and use mains for vocals only, then I use both monitors and point the EV out to FOH and run keyboards only into it, and then use the Alto as my monitor and only run vocals through it. So lots of flexibility with this set-up and I can cover any situation we encounter. In my home studio I sometimes connect both monitors in stereo and it sounds great, even though they are not the same speakers. I haven't run it that way live, but I could run stereo stage monitors if I wanted to and had the space.

• Members

Tulls - how do you monitor the keyboards? I used to use roland keyboard amp, but have moved away from that approach. In venues where the sound-man can control FOH sound well, then I just use a single monitor with both a vocal monitor feed from the board and my keyboards. I use a small submixer for my keys and send the board a single keyboard feed. So I can either take the vocal feed into my mixer or feed it directly into my monitor, since it has 2 inputs. I have 2 different monitors that I use depending on the venue and space available - biggest is the new 12" EV and the smaller one is a 10" Alto. Both sound good and have plenty of power. For smaller venues when we want to mix more from the stage and use mains for vocals only, then I use both monitors and point the EV out to FOH and run keyboards only into it, and then use the Alto as my monitor and only run vocals through it. So lots of flexibility with this set-up and I can cover any situation we encounter. In my home studio I sometimes connect both monitors in stereo and it sounds great, even though they are not the same speakers. I haven't run it that way live, but I could run stereo stage monitors if I wanted to and had the space.

• Members

I run a stereo pair of Wharfedale Titans positioned at the back of the stage on each side, pretty much a mini PA for keys, facing forward. . . I guess I need to add one of those personal mixer things. . . I don't currently run my vocal through my keys/guitar rig, but if I add one of those I can run my vocal to the keys side as needed, and that will likely help. . .

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Tullsterx View Post
I run a stereo pair of Wharfedale Titans positioned at the back of the stage on each side, pretty much a mini PA for keys, facing forward. . . I guess I need to add one of those personal mixer things. . . I don't currently run my vocal through my keys/guitar rig, but if I add one of those I can run my vocal to the keys side as needed, and that will likely help. . .
I have a 6ch mackie that works well and isn't too big. Found it used for about $100 or so. 4ch is probaby more than adequate. It isn't ideal to run a monitor mix on a speaker facing forward as that contributes to the FOH sound, but I suppose running lower volume wouldn't hurt things much. Another option is to split your Titans and run one as a floor monitor facing up and the other behind you as the keys PA and just run the vocals into the one on the floor.

I find we tend to get better mix and overall sound if I run my keys into a speaker facing the FOH. Then I am relying less on the soundman to dial things in perfectly. We battled with that for a year while I used only a floor monitor and have settled on a 2 speaker solution as the best for our band and mix of venues. That way we also don't need to run any keys in the monitor mix and the band can hear them on stage. And I have a bit more control to deliver more keys on a keyboard heavy song like Jump or Working for the Weekend since at least half of the keys sound is coming from my own PA, not from the house. It's still better to run some level of keys into the FOH tho, IMHO - even for a smaller venue.

• Members

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to try one of these. . .

art-headtap_1.jpg

That looks EXACTLY like what I was looking to begin with. I'm going to try running it with a set of in-ear monitors and limiting it with my FMR RNC, which is currently collecting dust.

Archived