What speakers should I get for an empty 2x12?

cryptic1911

• Members

Hey guys, I have another avatar 2x12 coming (empty) but i'm not sure exactly what I should do for speakers. I have one now with g12t75's and I like it, but I wonder if I should venture into getting 2 different speakers and maybe mix them in each cab? 75/v30 in each? or maybe eminence?.. from what I've heard of v30's is that they are real nasty in the mid section, and the eminence all seem kinda off, so I cant decide what I want to do

maybe I should just get 2x more t75's and stick with that? it's for a vh140c and a xxx if that helps. :freak:

• Members

The CL80s are great speakers. They generally are meant only for 212 cabs, I don't think they are all too good in a 412 - too much air in there.

The focus of a 212 cabinet and the bottom end it provides is a great companion for the the CL80.

I have a 212 cab loaded with CL80s and I can't remember a single time it didn't sound good. When I was recording it with the PB, it could put out a brutal and uncompromised tone and at the same time gave some really singing leads.

Its not as grainy as the GT12s or the V30s, the midrange is really clear and dynamic.

Fantastic speaker!

I have no experience with Eminence speakers so I cannot compare.

Jon

• Members
Celestion CL80s.

Thank me later!

+1 CL80s are great. They are a 'clean' speaker like the G12T-75, but with a more balanced, throaty sound. Think of the G12Ts, which you have, and add more mids, less sizzle on the high end, tighten up the low end and they are more responsive. I really like how they mix in a 412 with V30s. :thu:

Archived