EVM12L Speaker Question. Help Please!

Hell Bites

• Members

here's Al Estrada's EVM12L setup

the empty holes act like big ports. John Suhr says this config sounds AWESOME.

cab.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The word "ports" seems insufficient in describing that configuration!

Wes

• Members

here's Al Estrada's EVM12L setup

the empty holes act like big ports. John Suhr says this config sounds AWESOME.

cab.jpg

Wow :eek:

From the few vids I've seen of Al Estrada playing an CAE OD-100 (I think) he seems to be an amazing player

• Members

I haven't tried them with many different amps, but IMHO, they really let the character of the amp shine through. They have so much power handling that they are very clear and don't impart much of themself on the amp tone. Obviously they add something as anything in the signal path would. I like the fact that I don't get varying levels of speaker distortion with different volumes. They are quite heavy, but sound huge in a small package. I've been using my Mark IV short head with a single mesa thiele lately and it doesn't really make me miss a 4X12 that much.

I could try the EVMs with my Laney GH50L and report back if you'd like. Not the same as your Splawn, but may give a similar vibe. Let me know (I'll probably do it anyway now that you've peaked my curiousity
:lol:
).

Wes

That's cool about the 1x12 Mesa Thiele. I have NEVER heard any bad comments about those. I often here people saying they sound almost or just as good as 4x12

• Members

If you think you may be interested, Ill pick up my cabs toniight and put up some pic's tommorrow.

R

I think I may be interested. I would appreciate you taking some pics, but I don't want to make you do it if it'll be a major hassle. I want to make it clear though that I'm not making an absolute commitment to buying. Thanks.

As of right now I'm still searching for the older type that members like Danyeo, thenakedarab, and SteveVHT have that look like this:

5c65_1.JPG

Do you remember what they look like?

• Members
I haven't tried them with many different amps, but IMHO, they really let the character of the amp shine through. They have so much power handling that they are very clear and don't impart much of themself on the amp tone. Obviously they add something as anything in the signal path would. I like the fact that I don't get varying levels of speaker distortion with different volumes. They are quite heavy, but sound huge in a small package. I've been using my Mark IV short head with a single mesa thiele lately and it doesn't really make me miss a 4X12 that much.

I could try the EVMs with my Laney GH50L and report back if you'd like. Not the same as your Splawn, but may give a similar vibe. Let me know (I'll probably do it anyway now that you've peaked my curiousity
:lol:
).

Wes

Woah, yeah. I bet it would be a pretty similar vibe. I'm always looking for different speaker combos to try and have always been interested in those. The only thing putting me off of them is their weight. Rock out on those things and make some clips or let me know how they work out. :rawk:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Woah, yeah. I bet it would be a pretty similar vibe. I'm always looking for different speaker combos to try and have always been interested in those. The only thing putting me off of them is their weight. Rock out on those things and make some clips or let me know how they work out.
:rawk:

Well, I finally had a chance to try out my Laney Gh50L through my Mesa/Boogie EVM12L Thiele. It really confirmed yet again the reason I bought the Thiele in the first place. It's very clear, so I really felt that the Laney's tone came through uninhibited. I played it through a 4X12 first (Line 6 Flextone II - very underrated cab IMHO) then hooked up the Thiele. Once again, I didn't really miss the 4X12. Granted this was in my studio and not at gig levels, but I cranked it up pretty good. The sound from the Thiele was very full. Maybe not quite as much "coverage" from the thiele (area not frequency) but it sounded huge. Full cleans, medium crunch was very punchy, but not too boomy, higher gains were very full as well. This just cements my opinion that it's hard to find an amp that doesn't mesh with an EVM12L loaded Thiele. Sorry for the GAS induction, but I speak the truth!

Wes

• 8 years later...

Archived