Orange Rockerverb 50

Darthmako

• Members

I have had a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 amp for 5+ years now, and it's a good all round amp. But it fails to cut through when playing unlike my other guitarists Marshall Vintage Modern (very nice indeed). I already have an Orange 4X12 cab which is amazing and am thinking about getting the Rockerverb 50 head. Does anybody know if this is a good amp for punk/metal? I can't really find any good videos on You Tube or any decent audio files. Unfortunately no music shops near me (Bristol, England) have any decent equipment on show to try, so I'm relying on some good feedback here.

• Members

Depends on your opinion of what the sound should be. I have a rocker 50 and I think it has plenty of gain on tap to do Metal. It's not as "tight" as a 5150 or Diezel though. But the tone is amazing and one of a kind, in my opinion. It could do Punk as well, I think.

I'm surprised you can't find one over there. Then again, I'm unfamiliar with the geography of the UK.

• Members

Nice one all, the cab stays though. It's an absolute beast. She weighs a ton and the only cab I've heard that sings as well as she does, is a Fender Tonemaster 4X12. And boy have I tried to track one of those down over here. Gold dust! Has anyone tried the Vintage Modern 50? Very nice indeed, but I need something a little more versatile.

• Members

Nice one all, the cab stays though. It's an absolute beast. She weighs a ton and the only cab I've heard that sings as well as she does, is a Fender Tonemaster 4X12. And boy have I tried to track one of those down over here. Gold dust! Has anyone tried the Vintage Modern 50? Very nice indeed, but I need something a little more versatile.

You should check out the JVM, then. I'd be willing to bet it could compete with the Rockerverb and he would be just as versatile, if not, more so.

• Members

I have had a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 amp for 5+ years now, and it's a good all round amp. But it fails to cut through when playing unlike my other guitarists Marshall Vintage Modern (very nice indeed). I already have an Orange 4X12 cab which is amazing and am thinking about getting the Rockerverb 50 head. Does anybody know if this is a good amp for punk/metal? I can't really find any good videos on You Tube or any decent audio files. Unfortunately no music shops near me (Bristol, England) have any decent equipment on show to try, so I'm relying on some good feedback here.

You should give some serious considerations for a Laney VH100R Or GH50/100L( if you only need one channel). I had the Orange 50. To me it sounded a bit compress especially playing open chord applications. The Laney can do it all! It's insanely loud! Cuts through the mix. Great dynamics and a killer clean channel with it. I've had mine for 5 years now and have no plans of getting rid of it.

• Members

You should give some serious considerations for a Laney VH100R Or GH50/100L( if you only need one channel). I had the Orange 50. To me it sounded a bit compress especially playing open chord applications. The Laney can do it all! It's insanely loud! Cuts through the mix. Great dynamics and a killer clean channel with it. I've had mine for 5 years now and have no plans of getting rid of it.

+1

bass-n-drums and i have had very similar reactions to the RV50. the problem for me was the smoothness & darkness of it's tone. by itself it sounds amazing but i was not very happy in a band setting (trouble cutting through). so you may be happier with a brighter and gritter sounding amp for aggressive music. i would suggest Marshall style amps as a starting point.

i sold my RV50 and got a Laney GH50L, which i soon sold for a Marshall 2204. they are voiced similarly but the Laney has more gain if you need it. i love the Marshall because it's the sound of most of the music i've grown up with, so YMMV. and i found the Laney a bit too bright and gritty (and noisy).

but i assume you have a little money to spend since you're looking into new rockerverbs. so if you're looking for more available gain and versatility then, say, the JCM800 i'd look into other more high end hot-rodded Marshall tones like Splawn or Cameron.

good luck.

• Members

+1

bass-n-drums and i have had very similar reactions to the RV50. the problem for me was the smoothness & darkness of it's tone. by itself it sounds amazing but i was not very happy in a band setting (trouble cutting through). so you may be happier with a brighter and gritter sounding amp for aggressive music. i would suggest Marshall style amps as a starting point.

i sold my RV50 and got a Laney GH50L, which i soon sold for a Marshall 2204. they are voiced similarly but the Laney has more gain if you need it. i love the Marshall because it's the sound of most of the music i've grown up with, so YMMV. and i found the Laney a bit too bright and gritty (and noisy).

but i assume you have a little money to spend since you're looking into new rockerverbs. so if you're looking for more available gain and versatility then, say, the JCM800 i'd look into other more high end hot-rodded Marshall tones like Splawn or Cameron.

good luck.

you certainly nailed my thoughts on the Rockerverb as well. In a band setting the RV50 got lost in the mix. I thought it was just me but when I went to see an openning band play out, they were using Orange rockerverb stacks and I have to say that all I heard was mud. It did sound amazing by it self and that one of a kind Orange sound. But in the end it didn't cut the mustard.

The Laney can be bright depending on the speakers you use. I had GT1275's and it was shrilled and ice picky...I later switched to CL80 and V30's. Huge improvement. I now use an Orange 2x12 and it sounds fantastic! I actually have to turn the treble up instead of down. THe laney's are a bit noisy but during band situations. It's no big deal. Laney amps can be a tweaker...all the controls are very interactive and can hear more distinctly an audible difference as oppose to Orange and Marshall tone shaping features. I have a Marshall 6100 and love it! But my VH100R is still my main amp.

• Members

I think they are using Laney's or Hiwatts there.

How they do it is with 4 half stacks. 2 Orange, 2 Laney. Singer/Guitarist plays Oranges, other guitar player Laneys.

They put one Orange and Laney half stack on each side of the drummer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Cheers guys. That's a lot to think about. My new SG arrives tomorrow so I'll see if I notice much improvement on my current sound with my DSL 50. In all fairness my Marshall's not a bad amp and the Orange cab makes it sound better than it ever has done. I just have some money burning a hole and was tempted with the Rockerverb to go with my cab.

Archived