Saw Poison / Ratt show last night

legend71

• Members

Went to the Poison / Ratt show last night here in Columbus. The price was rifght (free). I wanted to see Ratt mostly because of Warren DeMartini (I had never seen him live before). Anyways, his tone and playing were definitely on point last night. Great player... He had an SLO and a Diezel in his rack on stage. Cabs were Marshalls I believe. He had a great crisp, clear tone and they kept him high up in the mix so you could hear everything perfect. I wish he had been given a solo spot, but I guess being second on the bill doesn't allow for that.

Poison put on a good show. Brett Michaels was selling it before every tune. CC Deville's tone was predictably {censored}ty. It sounds like he is playing through a Peavey Bandit circa 1985. Or mabye an old Crate amp. So trebly and tinny - no definition. I guess it doesn't matter because his playing sucks anyways. They did their hits and played a lot of covers from their new album.

If Ratt came back on their own I would definitely go see them again....

• Members

It looked like a VH4. I don't know that he used it. It was in the rack. I could see the other stuff. It sounded much more like he was using the SLO. He had some clean parts for intros and what not, but mostly it was the same tone throughout. Had a lot of balls and he is so articulate in his solos and phrasing. What a tasty player!

• Members

Isn't White Lion supposed to be along for this tour?

I heard Vito Was coming back. just a rumour I guess.

Also, was Jizzy singing, or was it Stephen?

No white lion...it was to be Tramp's band and Vito put a legal block on them using the name so they got booted off the tour. Vito was not going back to them. Vains of Jenna is supposedly doing alot of the dates.

• Members

I saw Ratt last weekend in Birmingham, didn't stick around for Posison. I've seen both bands live numerous times in the 80's and early 90's. I agree with the original poster about Warren, what a great player! He hasn't lost anything in the 15 or so years since I last seen Ratt live. I didn't see his rack but it definitely sounded like a Soldano he was using. I know Stephen Pearcy has never been a great singer, but he did a good job of working the crowd and sounded about like I remember him from years ago.

The rest of the band was solid. John Corabi throws out some strong vocals. You know it's funny, I went to mostly see Warren, but if Stephen Pearcy wasn't back in the band I probably wouldn't have went.

• Members

I have to agree with this mostly. Stephen Pearcy brings something to the show that I am sure Jizzy Pearl does not. Vains of Jenna did open and they were not too good. But it is hard to win over the crowd when no one knows your tunes....They brought the energy, but the songs were not that exciting to me. They must have been sponsored by Carvin or something because all of their gear was Carvin stuff.

I had also forgotten that Corabi was in the band. He is a talented guy and I loved him in The Scream. That was a great album.

I also must say that I enjoyed Rikki Rockette's drum solo. It surprised me. CC's solo was terrible.

• Members

I wish they'd play in the UK.

I'd like to see RATT for Warren's guitar playing. Saw him playing in Whitesnake in the early 90's and he didn't really have much to do. A bit like Reb Beach being on rhythm for them now....

• Members

The women at the show kind fo ran the gamut. Lot of Cougars or Milfs or whatever mostly, but there some stripper type chicks there as well. And of course there were some biker trash / skank type chicks too. My favorite was seeing a hot Mom and her daughter dressed equally as slutty. Amusing to say the least!

• Members

I saw Ratt/Poison last night. It was my first time seeing either one. Warren looked a lot taller in person.

I was really surprised at Poison. They all looked great (sober) and had a lot of energy. Brett is a pretty good frontman and seemed geniunely appreciative of the crowd.

CC's playing isn't a technical marvel but at least he wasn't sloppy. He played for the songs and not to impress guitar players in the audience. I was hoping to see a fist fight but they all seemed to be rather playful and in a good mood.

I would go see Poison again. It's just a fun guilty pleasure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I saw Ratt & Poison in Minneapolis this Wednesday. I was about 2 feet from the front stage and was dead center with Warren and his Marshall cabs. Yes, you are correct, Warren's rig consisted of a SLO-100 and a Deisel VH4. I was particularily interested in seeing Warren's set-up. The Deisel was turned on and the SLO was not. As the stage grew dark, the Deisel was glowing and the power/channel lights in front were blue. However, the SLO was not glowing and no power lights were visible. Now, having said that, Warren's tone may have been coming from a head "backstage" that I could not see.

Warren's tone was very "thick". Lots of chunk and bass, especially on songs such as Lack of Communication. Although his tone was different from say RATT's "Invasion", it definitely was worth the price of the ticket to see Warren again.

Oh, another tid-bit. I purposely wanted to remain beer free until RATT was done playing so I could see Warren's playing. If you are interested in why Warren doesn't throw any picks into the audience, it is because he plays one metal pick the whole show. :-)

I have a lot of photos of warren with his snake strat and crossed swords guitars if anyone is interested. Ratt N Roll !!

Kirk T.

• Members

I like Ratt...but only in small doses lol. Poisen is just terrible. Poisen is like the backstreat boys with distorted guitars and long hair. I never understood their gay lyrics, gay songs, and gay stage appearance.

I don't mind their music, but with their appearance, they might as well play pattycake on stage.

• Members

Cool, I would check out that show if it comes near me just to hear Warren. :thu: I remember seeing Motely Crue in '90 in the Dr. Feelgood tour----I've never seen so many hot metalsluts in one place!! Even had a few cat fights!! Two girls in miniskirts, heels and stockings engaged in a major drunken battle, I love it! It's always nice to meet young girls today (they're out there for sure) that get into that kind of music, as the original girl fans from back then are pretty old at this point.

I recall seeing Lolapalooza in '93 and although some of the bands were good, some lameasses had a "political debate" tent setup. Naturally it was dominated by extreme leftist, frigid hippy chicks and dickless Nancy boys handing out flyers. What a lame culture that was, even at a concert they're uptight and talking politics, it's the polar opposite of a metal concert. I know which one I prefer!

Archived