So, I got a phone call from a random 800 number.

LOLmaster Flash

• Members

...at 1:47 a.m. and I answered, and got a repeated beeping sound. The number was 1-800-396-9402.

I called back at 1:48 a.m. and it said "if you are getting a beeping tone on a mobile phone, please leave your name number and a brief message.

2 minutes later, at 1:50, I got a phone call from 732-352-7754 - a new jersey area code.

Anyone have anything like happen to them? weird....I'm calling them back.

EDIT 1: I got a dial-up sound when I called back for internet.

EDIT 2: I got a call from 732-352-7754 at 1:56 a.m. Beeping sound. This is creepy haha.

• Members

It's the 800 numbers like that and the ones with the area codes like 610 or 601 or something. They will keep you on the line and charge you something like $20-$40 a minute! I got that bit o' info sent to me in an email that's long been deleted. I just let the machine catch those, or just answer and hang up immediately.

• Members

Ya, they're just calling your number in error. When I worked at our local college, every room had a fax machine, and we'd get between 2 to 5 spam faxes a day on every one of them! Finally got an agency to help us cut it down, but we still got quite a few.

Basically, if you had a fax machine, you could hook it up to that line and the next time they called you, it would print out their ad or whatever. that's why you heard internet noise when you called back, it was the modem.

Archived