Help finding Iron Maiden tone..

BlackPegasus

• Members

I was given as a gift an Epiphone Les Paul (left handed) & Line 6 Spider II (30 watt)

My question is, is it possible to get a tone simliar to that of Iron Maiden guitarist dave Murray using this AMP... if so can anyone tell me which settings to have each dial at (I have tried but failed totall)

If not can someone suggest an effects pedal (around

• Members

classic maiden sound:

Strat/SG/Ibanez/Hamer etc. + Dimarzio pickups -> Tubescreamer -> Marshall JMP or JCM800

mid 80s

superstrats -> GK amps

later

Strats -> Marshall JMP1+Poweramp/5150/

so a start would be to find a usable 80s rock setting, and maybe buy a SD1 or Tubescreamer (or copy)...use alot of mids.

• Members

classic maiden sound:

Strat/SG/Ibanez/Hamer etc. + Dimarzio pickups -> Tubescreamer -> Marshall JMP or JCM800

mid 80s

superstrats -> GK amps

later

Strats -> Marshall JMP1+Poweramp/5150/

so a start would be to find a usable 80s rock setting, and maybe buy a SD1 or Tubescreamer (or copy)...use alot of mids.

Thanks for the info, I have noticed an SD-1 reasonably priced on Ebay, I had been toying with buying a Strat (being left hand my choices are limited)

My fav Iron maiden albums are Somewhere in Time/Seventh son of a Seventh son , so mid 80's maiden sound is what I'm aiming for...

• Members

Thanks for the info, I have noticed an SD-1 reasonably priced on Ebay, I had been toying with buying a Strat (being left hand my choices are limited)

My fav Iron maiden albums are Somewhere in Time/Seventh son of a Seventh son , so mid 80's maiden sound is what I'm aiming for...

Those albums, they used Gallien-Krueger amps, very compressed and chorusy. I'm not familiar with Line6 amps, but start with a 80's metal sound and add some chorus, delay and some compression if you can. That'll probably get you close.

• Members

My fav Iron maiden albums are Somewhere in Time/Seventh son of a Seventh son, so mid 80's maiden sound is what I'm aiming for...

I myself have a somewhat novel approach to getting close to a SIT-type tone (my favorite Maiden album) with the equipment I have.

Guitar -> Boss Metal Zone -> Ibanez TS9DX (Turbo) -> Digitech Whammy (set on "5ths")-> Roland S/S amp with a Jazz Clean setting (PLUS another chorus effect on the amp)

I'll explain to you why each one of these components is important:

a). Metal Zone (MT-2): You will need something tight, compressed and hot.

b). Turbo Tubescreamer: Adds a much creamy layer and sustain to the MT-2.

c). Digitech Whammy: Okay, this is where things get weird and alot of folks on here are going to cry "cheater". Running one of these AFTER a distortion pedal/s will add another creamy layer when you have it set to "5ths" (cheat alert!). If you run it before the distortion pedals and have it set to "5ths" (or don't turn it on at all), you still get the basic powerchord, but it sounds muted. For whatever reason, running it the way I have listed in the chain alters the signal and "boasts" it for whatever reason. When someone says that pedal placement in a signal change matters, its true.

d). Roland S/S amp: I run two levels of chorusing here. The first of which is called a Jazz Clean gain type which is famous type of chorus sound for Roland. This is critical for my version of this tone since it adds another creamy layer (lots of creamy layers in my chain) that is just as important as a regular modulation-type of chorus. Furthermore, my amp has a regular chorus knob which I run at %75.

I accidently came across the basic version of this tone by accident. As in "what happens when run a MT-2 and a TS9DX into a chorus a the same time?". I refined it further from there.

The result of all of the above nonsense: Go listen to the track Caught Somewhere In Time, my tone is about %90 accurate. Listen to the guitar chord progression when Bruce sings "Time, is always on my side", I am VERY close to that.

The bad news is that because the Digitech Whammy HAS to be set on "5ths", it IS cheating in terms of playing power chorus (only one finger needed); so don't do it in public. LOL

I also have a Line6 POD XT, which has a lot of the same gain types/settings as your Spider. I tried getting a SIT-type tone on that as well. I couldn't do it. If you run a tight, high-gain sound like a Soldano or "Insane" setting through a chorus, you will sound like Type O Negative instead of Maiden.

Lastly, Maiden used Gallien-Krueger 250ML combos for SIT (and a butt-load of effects, the amp itself won't get you the sound from what I'm told), and Gallien-Krueger 2000CPL heads for 7th Son. Someone on the Maiden forum is using the latter, and said that they can dial in the 7th Son tone easily. These amps appear on the "famous auction website" from time to time.

If I accidently stumble upon a SIT-type tone on my Line 6, I'll let you know.

Cheers

Archived