Cheap keyboards/synths can they do the job?

DJ RAZZ

• Members

ChipCurtis wrote:

Synthaholic, I checked my post and never said I "needed a good Rhodes sound" implying that I was still looking for one, at least not phrased that way. I said "those are all the sounds I need", i.e. Rhodes being one of the sounds. If it makes it any clearer, "I need a good Rhodes sound in my rig, and already have it" is what I was saying.

Yes that's me who made the Clavinova and Rhodes sample cards for the Alesis QS. Thank you for the compliment. Just curious, do you own either of them, or are you going by the sound demos on eBay?

Sorry, Chip - I lost track of this thread.

No, I have only heard the demos.  They sound great.  The Rhodes reminds me of Bob James.  That particular sound is not available on most synths.  There is nothing remotely close to it on my Kurz PC3 (all the EPs on that board sound way harsh to me).

• Members

DJ RAZZ wrote:

OK In this post I want to make some points. How much do we need to get the job done? I am so lucky right now. I am in an all 70's and 80's cover/party band which is fun as heck. We are playing heavy synth type dance music and staple top 200 hundred stuff. One: KISS, Van Halen and Poison tune is all for the hair band music. And the KISS tune is Beth, just awesome! OK now my second blessing. I have a new Roland Juno Gi and a KORG Microstation due to lack of money. But the guys in the band are jazzed about my playing and are stoked about the sounds I am bringing. I admit my QSC keyboard rig doesn't hurt. The singer's other band has a keyboard player with a very respectable Yamaha MO8 and he is doing some backing on a song with it as well. But from what I hear my sounds, playing, and usage of sound is just better. Point. I am getting bored with all the Jupiter 80 and Kronos Hype and demos. Both these boards are marvels of creation, but I am really digging something more like the Roland RD-300NX, or a good VA like: Venom, Ultranova, GAIA, OR EVEN THE Microkorg. I believe a proper Piano with Supernatural technology and light weight or a great VA is the only thing now that will lift me to the next level. I am partial to the GAIA because of Sweetwater's famous best of 70's sounds. The guys would get a kick out of the Styx, Rush, and Steve Miller stuff. My next hurdle is also to bring some backing tracks to the band, either with my BOSS RC-50, my new DAW SONAR X1 DAW, or by buying a new multitrack recorder such as a Boss BR-800 or Tascam DP-08. I do not currently own a PC Laptop for Sonar but with the Juno and BOSS products coming in, it seems like the next practical step in Cakewalk. I may be switching from Macbook Pro to PC laptop for the first time in years. We will see. Grant it this is all veyr band specific and so I am probably very bias right now. My last question is this. How badly does the average Joe studio guy or Joe giging guy need these Super synths. I am not counting organs and piano players they need their tools. I can also understand a Motif, Fantom, or M-3 user if that is all someone owns. Are the Super synths for the pro's, the rich, the famous, the bored, the die hard collector, the keeping up with the Jones's guy, the gotta have it guy? With whom are we speaking? Sorry this was so long, but let's talk about this. Have you ever gig'd or worked in the studio with cheap are minimal gear. Did it work, were you happy? Thanks for listening RAZZ

the RD300 series is a pretty capable stage piano.   We played a music cruise gig on a cruise ship a the year before last and there was a band that worked for the cruise co  playing the different lounges and decks.  These cats were everywhere ,, god only knows how many hours a day they were playing.   Their keyboard player had a 300 series stage piano.  This guy did it all on that board.  He had everthing set up on presets for a mulititude of songs.   This guy knew that board inside and out.  

Archived