orchestral synth

• Members

You can pick up an Akai Z4 for around $500-$600 new, if you can find one, and a little cheaper used. Get the RAM upgraded to at least 256mb or if you can swing it the full 512mb for around $75. Hook up the Z4 to your computer and install ak.sys software, then dump your samples over to the Akai. You can then take a USB thumb drive and stick it in the front of the Z4 and save your samples and programs. Use that to load them in live settings, etc. I know there a couple of orchestral sample discs like the Miroslav Vitous Mini that are about $200, but there are others out there specializing in strings rather than entire orchestra sounds. Esoundz.com and Soundsonline.com both sell Akai format CD-ROMS, so it shouldn't be difficult to find some usuable stuff. Also, most of these sets were made before the Akai could handle that much RAM, which means you can load more than enough programs to get you through a gig without loading more in the middle of the set.

This is the route I took, although I'm using my Z4 to run the mellotron cd-rom, and Ilio Vintage Timetraveler. I also had to buy a usb cdrom drive because my PC wouldn't recognize the akai format CD.

dirk

• 6 years later...
  • Members

guidedbyechoes wrote:

What would get me pretty realistic orchestral sounds? I'm not to worried about anything else. Maybe a piano that doesn't sound like a cascio piano would be nice too.
:wave:
I'm trying to get a live board but I guess I could lug my desktop around with softsynths.

You are already *limited* by your bias against CASIO, so WHAT could I do to help you?

• Members

workstation M.I wrote:

guidedbyechoes wrote:

What would get me pretty realistic orchestral sounds? I'm not to worried about anything else. Maybe a piano that doesn't sound like a cascio piano would be nice too.
:wave:
I'm trying to get a live board but I guess I could lug my desktop around with softsynths.

You are already *limited* by your bias against CASIO, so WHAT could I do to help you?

Oh yeah THIS!

https://soundcloud.com/skyy38/the-giant-hand-from-outer

Archived