Dsl 50 or Traynor Ycv50?

surfcat

• Members

I can get a good deal on a new Dsl50-like $400 bucks off since they're discontinued-should I jump on it? I play Hendrix, Trower for strat sounds and Zeppelin, Gov't Mule, Free, etc. with a Les Paul-classic rock mostly.

Or, will the Traynor Ycv50 get those tones as well, better, worse-for still less money? I have a Ycv40 and it's nice but it's not a Marshall-the 50 has EL34's and is supposed to sound like a Marshall.

Also, the stock 1960A cab with G12-75's-should I stay away from it and get an Avatar 2x12 or 4x12? Best speakers?

• Members

Thanks, anyone else? One vote Traynor. Btw, I don't have a cabinet yet-it's on sale too, but I've heard other speakers are better. It's a local store so no 30 day return policy so I can't buy it and try it. Finding a Ycv50 in stock is very difficult too.

I don't want to make a rush decision on the Marshall if there are better amps out there that don't cost too much more-is the Modern Vintage better? I'd have to wait on that one due to extra cost. If the Traynor really gets that Marshall thump I might be tempted even if I need an extra 1x12 closed back to get there.

• Members

so the DSL50 is $800 brand new? thats a killer deal for brand new, considering a fair deal for a used one is $700. as for a cab, i think that amp sounds amazing with V30s, people also like greenbacks too.

$850-it's a store demo-but not a GC megastore so I don't think it got abused. So I'd be out $150 if I hated it-plus whatever the speaker cab I ended up with. The reviews are love/hate though so I'll definitely have to try it out-wish they had a Traynor 50 next to it for a side by side comparison.

They have a 100 watt for $900 but I think the 50 watt is better for most smaller clubs, yes?

Archived