I Weirdest things your instrument/Samples have "said"?

reactance

• Members

It can't only happen to me... You know, when you write a synth line or arrange some samples, and find that it "says" something, which can be very frustrating when writing an instrumental. Easily changed, but then it isn't the same. Happens a little too often, and annoys me a lot. I have never heard of this being a problem though. So that's weird. Happen to everyone else?

Anyway what have you gotten from a raw synth or sample.. I have gotten rude comments and phrases, etc. Or sometimes after adding a little filter or something. I will put them all together sometime, since I usually save a sample, and everyone can hear for themselves. I was hoping things would be different with hardware, I used to have just Live Lite and an iPad, thought I needed the full version or whatever. Every once in a while I might get something cool,  or change it so it sounds like its saying something else and roll with it. And what about the Volca's, are they named that because of something to do with this?

www.soundcloud.com/eternalsurge

twitter.com/eternalsurge

• Members

Are you talking about hearing a melody or phrase that stands out from the music more than you intended, or do you mean you hear word-like sounds? Usually the most 'vocal' my synth gets is making sounds like 'waaawaaa' or 'wuuuwuuuwuu' stuff playing with the filter. I remember the first time I heard Tomita make his rig talk on his version of 'The Planets' a long time ago. If the mix is complex enough it wouldn't seem like a stretch to hear 'talking' sounds grabbing your attention. Our brain attempts to create meaning out of stimuli which leads to interesting things like seeing the face of Jesus in a tortilla chip or hearing our name called out in an empty house. It is known as pareidolia. If your synth is telling you to burn things then that is another matter entirely.

Archived