Marshall JCM 900 SLX

EVHoYEAH

• Members

Any of you guys tried this amp? I used one at a rehearsal room last week and have to say the tone I got out of it with my Les Paul is the best i've had with any amp I've used.

It has 2 channels which I remember being exactly the same, so you can raise the volume on one channel to use it as a boost, while keeping your tone the same across the board. I'm looking to buy one now too so if any of you cats are in the UK and have one spare then get in touch.....

Also, for you Spinal Tap fans the gain goes up to 20 ;)

• Members

My friend has a really old battered one. I must admit, I saw "JCM900" and thought, well, lol basically, its gonna sound pretty tinny. And to be 100% honest, his tone on that show was {censored}ing horrible, it did sound tinny and horrible and really ear piercing. But when I taught him not to use the "Mids low, gain 10" trick he got pretty good tone out of it, yeah, I was impressed :thu:

They definatley have a LOAD more gain than I was expecting.

• Members

I had one. It was nice.

There are 2 versions. The US one has EL34's and the UK has 5881's. The one I had was a 5881 version and I had to rebias it when I got it because it was running too cold.

I think I would prefer the EL34 version.

Same as the MkIII's but with extra Preamp tube and gain. Like the earlier versions, they sound Great with EL34's.

The 5881 versions sound good with Outboard Preamps such as a Prophesy etal.

Archived