Has anyone here ever directly A/B'd an XTC with the Carvin Legacy?

Random Hero

• Members

How similar or I guess, different are these two? I really have XTC GAS as of late like crazy, but I'm wondering how close the Legacy gets as it's a fair bit cheaper. Are they voiced similarly?

As I understand it, the Legacy clean channel is far better, but what about the lead channel? As it happens, I love the way the Vai demo sounds on the Carvin site, so if I found one for a decent price I'd probably hop on it either way, but would I still want the XTC? I suppose the only thing that concerns me about the Vai demo is that Vai pretty much always sounds like that, although that comment might open a huge can of worms about tone being in the fingers, etc.

So anyway, give me your opinions.

• Members

I haven't a/b'd the XTC but we have an Uber and a Legacy in the studio and I have compared them many times. The Uber has a bit more gain and slightly better distortion tone but not $1500 more. The clean on the Legacy is way better than the Uber. Tone wise they both have similar mid range sound that I like. Again I can't say for the XTC comparisons.

• Members

if youre looking for an affordable alternative to the xtc, the legacy is where its at

but the legacy doesnt really compare to the xtc in the tone department

you would be compromising a lot to save money

theyre both really good amps

Not jumping on you, so please, don't take it that way.

Big blanket statement you made there in saying the Legacy does not compare in the tone dept. to the XTC.

That depends upon the player and what he wants to hear. If he wants Vai tones, the Legacy will more than fill the bill.

• Members
Not jumping on you, so please, don't take it that way.

Big blanket statement you made there in saying the Legacy does not compare in the tone dept. to the XTC.

That depends upon the player and what he wants to hear. If he wants Vai tones, the Legacy will more than fill the bill.

I don't necessarily just want Vai tones, but I do love the tone in his demo with the amp :thu:

Archived