Melody first or chords first?

tramampoline

• Members

What's your usual process rof songwriting? I usually start noodling on the guitar unitl I find and interesting chord or progression and that usually perks my ear to create a melody to fit the progression. It works for me when I use the other method as well, but not as much for some reason. What comes first for you?

• Members

Originally posted by ninja of love

I agree. I always do chords first and end up stuck. The best songs are always the best melodies.

Absolutely. If you come up with a chord progression first, then your melody has to work within the confines of that progression.

If you have a melody first, then you have almost an endless number of chords that you can put on top of it.

• Members

I always mix it up. The idea is though is to try to write every day. Even if it is just a four measure melody. I belt out melodies in my car. I mess around with my notation software even if I have no direction. I noodle on the guitar quite a bit as well.

When it comes to what comes first. Don't limit yourself to just one technique. Just remember, once you write a melody for a progression go away for an hour and come back to it. If you can't remember the melody you wrote it wasn't any good to begin with.

If you want to start with just writing melody first that is a pretty good idea. It usually is the strongest. Pick up some Rickard Strauss: Don Juan or Death and Transfiguration are both great songs to get you gears rolling. Even James Horner helps me out sometimes.

• Members

It depend what you are writing. If you wrote a main theme, i prefere beginning by the melody. It's your subject! But for a variation or or verse you can make for example a variation of the main harmony and do a melodisation on it. The most important voices is 1: your melody line, 2: your bass line. The rest is colors

• Members

Originally posted by dr fuse

strange affirmation! are you lissen the variations of "ah vous dirais-je maman " from Mozart? Doing melodisation produce less liberty for the melody movement. It's a choice...

Not sure I follow... are you saying in Mozart's Twinkle Twinkle Little Star he doesn't take liberty with the melody? I think that's not the case, most specifically useing the 8th & 11th variations as example. However I'm not sure that's a good peice to use to prove the point, since it seemed to be written as a training exercise for his pupils (in my opinion).

Maybe I misunderstood.

• Members

When I write my own stuff, I usually have a melody and lyrics taking shape before I put any music to it.

In the band, things are different...my vocalist and I usually share the writing credits, but a lot of our songs just come out of jamming. We'll just start jamming, I'll hit on 2 or 3 good riffs over the course of the jam, and usually when I hit an above-average riff, the singer will just lay something over it with a spontaneous melody and lyrics that may or may not have been written beforehand. That's how our last 5 songs or so have been written...and they're our best songs, too.

Archived