Whether it's a song or not, will you critique my instrumental?

dctalkdotnet

• Members

hey guys... i got no response in the recording forum, so I'd like some artistic feedback maybe from in here...

Anyway, i have loads of guitar and piano parts that i'm throwing into one huge anthem-like instrumental song. I'm still working on it, but I have a rough sketch...

I wanted comments on:

-mix/recording - How is the mix? suggestions? pleasE?

-performance (please note: the lead guitar is just me screwing around, I will re-record it, but I do like the tone...)

-creativity (how is the song? what/who does it sound like? were the intro guitar parts written well?)

here it is: 3:33 - 3MB

http://dctalk.net/musical.mp3

• Members

I agree about the "durms"? I am not sure if its the drums alone or perhaps a little more controlled (compressed) bass that would make it thicker.

The guitar lead could use more melody and some harmonizing wouldn't hurt.

The acoustic guitars sound pretty good to me. Just curios , what did you use to record it?

However , all in all I really love the style of the music. Keep up the good work.

• Members

Originally posted by AlKindi

The acoustic guitars sound pretty good to me. Just curios , what did you use to record it?

I used ACID by Sonic Foundry... actually, the version you heard was me running a Shure SM-57 into my Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum sound card. I was micing a $400 acoustic! I think I got pretty good sound for such a poor setup. I have recently re-recorded all the acoustic parts with a Talyor guitar, and it sounds a lot better. :)

Archived