Help me choose a new rig

fist

• Members

I play rock mostly, and need tones from clean to moderate distortion (not metal). I need to be able to practice at home, and play over a drummer for practice really, i dont do big gigs which require loads of volume.

so..

Rig 1: 18 watt tube Atomic Amp + Vox tonelab le.

Reviews here on HC have said that the atomic amp really gives a tube sound to MFX processors, so they sound a lot less like..well.. processors. Some have A/B'ed it and found the model very close to the real thing. There's a glowing review on thestompbox.net and it got full marks or something.

Although the Atomic is a bit expensive for what it is, this rig will be a lot more versatile, and most importantly, you can get the same tone at lower volumes, so i will be able to practice at home without having to crank the amp.

http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=4631 (for stuff on the Atomic)

Rig 2: Peavey Classic 30 / Laney LC30 + Vox Tonelab

with this rig i'll just use the tonelab for effects, but also it can act as a backup so there can be a few patches that can go straight to a PA or something if the amp craps out.

I'm just worried it will suck the tone outta the amp, and its kinda expensive conisdering ill just be using the effects most of the time.

Rig 3: Peavey c30 / Laney LC30 + stompboxes

If someone could come up with some stompboxes for about

• Members

I just heard a friend's 50 watt Crate V series with the built in fxand it sounded really nice. Tube goodness and useable fx. I think it's the VFX series or something like that. I'm guessing it's around $1000 but if it is all you need that would be a handy rig.

• Members

Out of those choices, I would go with rig 3. The Vox would probably sound good, but a simple amp and stompboxes is proven technology. As for the pedals and your budget, I would suggest a used digitech badmonkey overdrive. It sounds great and can be had for about 20 bucks used! For the other pedals, try some used Danelectro pieces. You can sometimes find deals on Ebay with several pedals for cheap. The Danelectros I have tried always sounded pretty good, they just seemed a bit flimsy. If you are careful when you step on them you should be ok. As for power, most pedal tuners have a power output on them so you could use a daisy chain to power your other pedals. This would be the cheapest way to go, as I would suggest getting a tuner pedal anyway. The visual sound onespot power supply also works great and wont break the bank. Hope this helps!

-John

Archived