Is my song in key? im not sure, but its close!

dannydigital

• Members

im sure this is a simple and very beginner question, i have just a little knowledge of scales and keys. this is a little song i made up and sometimes it sounds slightly off.. what do you all think

F C A B-?

E|-----------------------------------------------------------------

B|-----------------------------------------------------------------

G|----------------------------------------------5-3-2-3-2~~----

D|--(2)3--3---5-3-2-3~~----5-3-2-3~~---------------------

A|------------------------------------------------------------------

E|-------------------------------------------------------------------

B- to me is like an F but a set of strings higher, root at the 1st fret A string

is the song in key?

• Members

actually, what you're talking about at the 1st fret of the a string should a B flat major... (thats the IV chord in the key of F maj)

B flat

--1--

--3--

--3--

--3--

--1--

--X--

Also, in regards to staying in key, in the key of F major (which is what the licks are being played in, the chords are as follows

(I) - F major

(ii) - G min

(iii) - A min

(IV) - Bb (B flat major)

(V) - C major

(vi) - D min

(vii) - E diminished

So your chords should be F, C, Amin, Bb over the lick, and that should work for your riff ...

someone correct me if im wrong !?

• Members

Key, harmony, its all in your head. All I ever learned officially where the major chords then along the way I've learned all the others by listening and playing along with songs.

My friend on the other hand is a guitar maniac and can play the crap outta his guitar, he knows all the scales, all the theory. But when his listens to the stuff I write he tells me its out of key or the harmony is just plain weird. But in my head it sounds great!!

Listen to Tool for example these guys make bends sound new again because he just plays them when and where HE thinks they should be.

If you're looking for the key to find out what chord you're after then try downloading Powertab, it uses midi, and translates tab into music and plays it back over a metronome (I think its an awesome little tool and its free)

Put you'll little ditty into the first bar, then add a second and assign a different guitar sound to it and go nuts.

Archived