Lee Jackson XLA-100 vs JCM800?

separanets

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have an XLA-500. It sounds WAY better than my buddys older JCM-800. He even agrees and he loves that amp. had it since he bought it new in the 80's.

Of course "better" is subjective as hell. It sounds better to me. Heavier, more low end response, higher gain structure, it shreds like a mofo.

They aren't a common amp so finding a lot of info on them is tough. I bought mine on faith and I'm really happy I did. With any tube amp though you have to have good tubes in it. And the right tubes for the sound you are looking for.

• Members

I'd trust Lee if your into heavy high mids. Love my Crate StealthGT50 for 80's metal sounds. None of my other amps come close. Check out this clip Crate Stealth GT50 "brown Sugar" if you want. Fourth clip down. I know its not an 80's metal song but ironically I think I captured the sound best on it. Bob

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=84721

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

excellent crunch! I didn;t know Crates were made by Lee Jackson. And I also thought about old blue voodoo heads, such as bv50,bv60, bv120. but the l.j. xla-1000 also dragged my attention. The price is not that low, $700. JCM800's can be available for $400-500. BV heads are gard to find on yahoo.

Archived