Disect my song - Engl Savage

ulank

• Members

Hey all. I'd love to hear your opinions on this song I wrote as my mom was losing her battle with cancer. There was much attention given to the song structure, mood, musical foreshadowing, etc. and I'd like your comments/criticisms on the songwriting aspect.

For those also interested in tone:

I used my G&L ASAT Deluxe into the Savage with a TC Electronics chorus in the loop with just a *touch* of chorus - the overall guitar tone is barely affected. The mic was a Shure KSM32. I believe this to be a good representation of the amp. Drums are VST drums in Cubase - for some reason though the snare sounds like {censored} on my computer speakers - might want to try a little EQ, bump the mids a bid. Bass is a Conklin straight into the computer. The drums took forever , the bass was done in two takes, the guitars took about an hour and vocals were done in about an hour and a half.

0:00-1:32 Clean channel; neck PU in single coil setting

1:33-1:50 Clean and Crunch 1; same (I think)

1:51-2:51 Crunch 1; same (again, I think)

2:52-3:12 Crunch 2; neck PU in humbucker setting

3:13-4:23 Lead Ch; smooth mode, same (I think)

4:24-End Lead Ch; rough mode, same (I think yet again)

I would love comments/criticisms etc. on the song, tone, whatever. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

http://www.i-love-ursula.com/TheBeast.mp3

• Members

Not bad man. just lower the vocals or compress them a tad more. Around 1:30 I didn't quite like the phrasing of your guitar solo. I would try some minor scales there to make it nice and emotional (which is what it was going for in my ears). the rest of the solo's sound nice but add a touch of reverb. Keep at it.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the mix needs a little work yet. Thanks for the idea on stepping into minor territory. The bass line kind of floats in and out where I can go either way, so I'll try some stuff out. On that note though, the "solo" at 1:30 is kind of an atonal movement - theoretically it doesn't make much sense, but somehow it kind of fits...or maybe not. ;) Thanks!

Archived