people think I'm suicidal because of my lyrics in my songs..

Lord Lucifer

• Members

I personally dont see how the portray me as completely suicidal, but they are about depression and how it affects my life. I've been given advice to write lyrics about what I know, so thats exactly what I did. my band members dont ever really say anything about the lyrics, but thats probably cuz they are scared or something of them and because i wrote them and arent into them. And I wonder if it will just be a complete turn off for people listening to our music. For the record we are a metalcore band. And musically our songs are pretty damn good (not just to brag) Does anybody know what Im talking about, or have been in a similar situation?

• Members

I don't think it turn too many people off your music (except maybe teenie boopers, but who cares about them). The way I see it, of your music or lyrics make people feel something then you've written a pretty good song. The greatest complement I've ever gotten to a song I wrote is when a friend of mine told me to stop playing a song (an instruemental that was/is incomplete) because it made her feel like crying. Remember the point of music/lyrics is to express/share a feeling.

Hope that kind of answers your question.

• Members

Lord Lucifer, I know what you mean.

Each time I write a love song and show it to my friends they all go "you where thinking of -insert girls name here- wherent you? You romantic you!" and I hate it (cause usually its true).

Depressive feelings are the biggest driving force of artists of many fields. Most great artists were not happy people. Check Kurt Cobain, Van Gogh, Brian Wilson, Jim Morrison etc etc..

So maybe you should drive that force into metaphors of depression.

One thing is to write something in the first person like Kurts refused album title "I hate myself and I want to dye" and another is to transfer it to a metaphor. I dont know if you like Soundgarden, but Chris Cornell was not really happy when he wrote Superunknown album. It is filled with very dark depressive lyrics like:

"Black Hole Sun, wont you come and take it all away..."

or "i fell on black days, how would I've known" or "love is like suicide" etc..

he is not exactly saying he is depressed but the subjects he choses are dark and sad. And it's a rock masterpiece.

Archived