how to improve vocals

fretboard

• Members

hey everyone- how can i improve my vocals? ive always been very stubborn in that- i always believed that your stuck with what you got, u can sing till the cows come home, but youll never broaden your vocal range. but everyone seems to think otherwise, if you guys could offer me some exercises on improving my vocal range (high end) i would practice like a maniac until i improve- or realize that my theorywas right! the thing is- ive been singin the same songs for years and i still cant hit the same high notes that i couldnt hit years ago.

Though i have noticed that i can hit higher notes when i sing louder, much louder; the notes arent very stable and are very much prone to cracks and and squeeks! Also- i realize that i have (and i think everyone does) a "baby voice" in which i can sing much higher, but its not my real voice- and its not all that loud- does anyone know what the term is for this natural second voice??? or am i crazy? does anyone know of any sites that offer vocal lessons/training/tips??

thanks~!!

listen to my mp3s :) cooledit pro & fruity loops (fake drums rock!) heh

http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/rico

• Members

Your best bet would be to take a few vocal lessons and tell the instructor what you want.

Some tips:

1)Work out your voice by singing alot. I perform music 5 days a week , four hour gigs. Along with my practicing at home thats over twenty hours a week.

2) If you play an instrument, record yourself playing major scales ascending chromaticly, then use that to sing along to daily. Use open sounds: lu, la, leh, etc.

3)Try dropping your jaw more and keep your tongue down for a fuller open sound.

4) good posture and full breaths of air will help a great deal too.

• Members

lessons with a vocal coach woul dbe your best bet i think...

one of the best tips i ever got was to song from your diaphragm - pushing the air and sound out from there instead of from your throat (which is what most singers seem to do) - i do that sometimes and i can reach all the high notes i couldn't get before and it makes your voice louder... a coach could explain it much better than i can though! :)

• Members

The "Baby" voice you speak of is called your "false seto" (sp?). When you said you can sing higher if you sing louder, what you're doing is singing from you're throat. This is what most pop stars and rockstars do and within 5-10 years you will completely destroy your vocal chords. Ever heard someone say something along the lines of britney spears or christina agulera or whoever not having a have a voice in 3 years... this is what they're talking about. True singers (opera, back up vocalists, actors... ect. ) sing from the diaphgram (sp?). You use vocal power but you don't stress it (the crackyness...). You should sing from your stomache. Sing high, look in a mirror, you shouldn't be using muscle in you're neck. Your neck shouldn't look like (or feel like) it's muscles are working. When you sing put your hand on your stomache and when you sing "with power" your stomache should be supplying it. The muscles down there should work (not strain, just supply that power).

• Members

I have started getting vocal lesson recently (one a week for 2 months now) and am so glad I finally bit the bullet and did it!

I've always thought I had a decent voice, but never had the confidence and knowledge to feel entirely comfortable when singing.

I've learnt so much in this 2 months! I've found that for different ranges, I have to push the sound out different parts of my mouth/face to maintain volume. Also got to conciously pay attention to diction - hold the vowels when singing a long word, not the consanants, project voice forwards and not sideways blah, blah. I've by no means mastered singing, but I am making progress and I don't think you'd regret getting lessons if you're serious about singing.

"squeek"

• Members

Imagine the sound coming out of the top of your head, like a smokestack, instead of out of your mouth. Doing this will casue your sinuses to open and add greater resonance. I learned this in a public speaking class.

Archived