My Definition for the purpose of lyrics

Sammas

• Members

I think the main job of lyrics is to further absorb the listen into the music. Successful lyrics manipulate the listen into the feel and mood of a song, a great song will do this with out the listener having any idea that he/she is being manipulated... Music will add to the feel greatly... anyone agree?

• Members

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying - could you re-phrase the question?

Personally I never really listen to lyrics, but I still like them to be there, and they should sound good - they just don't have to mean anything.

• Members

Originally posted by moody

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying - could you re-phrase the question?

Personally I never really listen to lyrics, but I still like them to be there, and they should sound good - they just don't have to mean anything.

You've taken lyrics to the next step... you've been critical about them without even noticing it... let me give you an example: On TV adds say a beer add, they try to persuade you to do something... someone who is absorb by the add is persuaded to buy the beer. While someone who takes a critical view of it will see that they are trying to be persuaded to buy the beer...

understand?

Great Lyrics = people being "dragged" into the feel/mood of the song without knowing it, they will see and beleive your thoughts and views present in the song.

while a poor song will just be met critically... and usually negatively

I think this is the main point of lyrics. To "induce" a reaction upon people.

• Members

To me, lyrics are THE channel which the writer uses to convey emotion/feeling etc. The music alone can't put across the entire meaning - on it's own it can only create mood.

It's not about manipulating or tricking the listener - the music is for scene-setting and mood creation. The lyrics are the method of conveying the meaning/message in the song.

• Members

Originally posted by Sammas

You've taken lyrics to the next step... you've been critical about them without even noticing it... let me give you an example: On TV adds say a beer add, they try to persuade you to do something... someone who is absorb by the add is persuaded to buy the beer. While someone who takes a critical view of it will see that they are trying to be persuaded to buy the beer...

understand?

Great Lyrics = people being "dragged" into the feel/mood of the song without knowing it, they will see and beleive your thoughts and views present in the song.

while a poor song will just be met critically... and usually negatively

I think this is the main point of lyrics. To "induce" a reaction upon people.

I agree.

• Members

Most great and enduring songs are great lyrics set to music. Occaisionally there are great peices of music with lyrics as filler between solos, but it's pretty rare. The purpose of lyrics is to convey a point of view by the writer. One cannot be a great songwriter and be a crappy lyricist, IMO. One can perhaps be a decent composer, but not a great songwriter.

• Members

Originally posted by BlueStrat

Most great and enduring songs are great lyrics set to music. Occaisionally there are great peices of music with lyrics as filler between solos, but it's pretty rare. The purpose of lyrics is to convey a point of view by the writer. One cannot be a great songwriter and be a crappy lyricist, IMO. One can perhaps be a decent composer, but not a great songwriter.

Nice point... I very much agree with you, i believe the more the listen has been affected by the song ( both lyrics and music) without really realising it, the more successful the song is...

• Members

I dunno. It's always been my opinion that the music came second to the lyrics in a good song. That's what makes it a song.

Otherwise it's just a composition - an instrumental where the vocals are just an instrument.

The music is supposed to accentuate the feeling evoked in the poetry of the lyrics.

Therefore, the purpose of lyrics can be whatever you want. The purpose of music (in a song) is to enhance the meaning and impact of the lyrics.

My $.02. ;)

• Members

To horribly misquote:

Originally posted by BassistSeth

Otherwise it's just a composition - an instrumental where the vocals are just an instrument.

That's what I was trying to get at. Vocals as an instrument.

The lyrics don't have to mean anything and can basically have any words substituted if they sound good (as in tuneful, not insiteful or anything) when sung.

• Members

Originally posted by moody

That's what I was trying to get at. Vocals as an instrument.

The lyrics don't have to mean anything and can basically have any words substituted if they sound good (as in tuneful, not insiteful or anything) when sung.

for the most part that's how i've always viewed lyrics too. i don't know all the words to even my favorite songs - but i know the beat of the voice - the intonations - everything you would notice about any other instrument. so in that way, to me, they've always been closer to compositions than songs i suppose. which could explain why i have such a hard time writing lyrics.

from what you guys know, do people who don't "hear" lyrics naturally have a harder time writing them ?

• Members

Originally posted by misanthropy

for the most part that's how i've always viewed lyrics too. i don't know all the words to even my favorite songs - but i know the beat of the voice - the intonations - everything you would notice about any other instrument. so in that way, to me, they've always been closer to compositions than songs i suppose. which could explain why i have such a hard time writing lyrics.

from what you guys know, do people who don't "hear" lyrics naturally have a harder time writing them ?

In that respect I find that lyrics are easier to write - because It doesn't matter what I am saying.

For example, this is the minijam I did a few months ago - the lyrics evolved naturally over about 2 weeks of listening to the melody line - but took about 2 minutes to actually write - they don't mean anything and just came naturally. (one way I write lyrics is to start a tape and record whatever I sing on the fly).

http://www.apollo.spaceports.com/~bentvox/util/listen.html

• Members

on another note... i think lyrics help everyone understand the music... non musicians find it hard to enjoy an instrumental (with some exceptions of course). Lyrics i think help bridge the gap... so everyone can enjoy the peice...

Archived