Posting only lyrics...

• Members

I don't get the wave of people posting copies of their lyrics and asking to comment on their songs. To me, this is a completely pointless exercise.

This is like asking an art critic what they think of a painting by showing them which colors of paint you're going to use.

I'm reminded of a poll that Wes_Powell took a while back asking if a song needed lyrics to be considered a song. My question is, do lyrics need music to be considered a song?

• Members

Usually it's possible to see how easy or difficult it would be for a lyric to be matched up with music. You can look for things like meter, whether it rhymes or not, whether there is a chorus or not.

You can also tell if there is a single and consistant theme, thought, or story that ties the song together. You can look at the chorus, if there is one, and see if it sums up the 'point' of the song.

If the lyric doesn't have any of these things going for it, it probably won't be a good song, IMO.

A song can also have ALL of those things happening and STILL be bad, but overall, I do think the lyric is a good indicator of how good a song will be.

Archived