Death metal vocal's

RRRussell

• Members

First thing to remember is that the growl should come from the back of the throat... whilst it is easier to growl using the 'front' you'll only end up getting a sore throat. You should also practice a lot, I haven't practiced in ages and now my death metal growl sounds awfully feeble.

The other thing is: Don't be afraid to use effects! Karl Willets of Bolt Thrower used a harmoniser on Realm of Chaos to make his vocals sound even lower than they really were... I'm currently looking into this avenue myself, and (unless Mr. Music Shop was lying) guitar effects should work fine (and also save you having to shell out for a massive multi-FX rig when you'll only use a couple of the patches anyway).

• Members

Mikael Stanne is an excellent example of how to make deathmetal vocals sound actually interesting to listen to...I love my share of growlers, but it seems that only a few can do it really well these days, vocals are often overlooked cuz metal is such a guitar oriented musical style. A good vocalist can make the difference between a good album and a great album.

The key is experiment, find your own style and listen to what a lot of other bands to get vocal "tone" ideas, but don't get down on yourself if you don't sound like a particular band...uniqueness is a good thing.

Lastly, effects are not bad provided they're not masking the expression and clarity of the vocal performance, and that they suit the singer and the style he is trying to convey. Adding a bit of reverb to wet the vox or some delay gives it a bit more depth, and makes singing a bit more enjoyable at rehearsal because it takes away the dryness.

• Members

Originally posted by MortalDecay1

Dont use effects for the vocals,and then give Death Metal a bad name you faggot.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but just in case you haven't noticed, Death Metal is overburdened with the Cookie-Monster, 'look at me I'm SCAWEE' charade. Bit hard to take DM that seriously when bands like Cannibal Corpse sing about slaughtering infants and other perverse things. More laughable than thought provoking.

But I'm getting off topic here. In my opinion, good clarity and articulation leads to better expression. I've never heard a gurgler who captured my attention. But Stanne has always been a great contributer to the passion of Dark Tranquillity's music.

I think another lesson to learn from Stanne is the use of clean vocals. Throw them in for variety and impact.

• Members

Yes and Cannibal Corpse dont use effects either.I like low vocals,but i like them real. If there is echo and {censored} like at the end of the song or something or when they make the vocals fade that's cool becuase it's still there orginal vocals.But when they use effect's that make there vocals lower thats dumb.I wont listen to a band that does that.

• Members

I think the main point here is that it really boils down to what the band and vocalist want. If using effects helps them to achieve their creative vision, then so be it.

If you don't like using effects, thats cool, and there's no reason why effects absolutely need to be used. But to say that using effects is 'dumb', well, that's just dumb ;)

Although, to be honest, I can't remember listening to a growler using effects that captured my attention. I think the thing that makes death metal vocals so powerful is their rawness and purity, things which effects take away from. But like I said, it's just my slant on the whole deal.

• Members

I think vocal effects for making your vocals lower are dumb that takes away your vocal talent.And thats why for example Frank Mullen from Suffocation doesnt use effects and it's great because you can tell the emotions the personality and that's it all real so you can tell it's with all his power you can still kinda understand him.Effects make the singer not have emotion and what not,and it doesnt sound like the singer has feeling what so ever.

• Members

I'm confused... how does advocating the use of vocal effects make me homosexual?

I think you may have assumed that by effects I meant distortion (which I have no desire to use). What I actually meant was things like pitch-shifters and EQs (but don't use digital ones if you can possibly avoid it as they will make your voice sound artificial and unemotive), allowing yourself to make your voice sound lower, but without losing any of the 'real' qualities... even then I'd only recommend them to people who for one reason or other have trouble reaching the required vocal sub-basement for 'good' death metal. If you cannot growl properly (thus requiring distortion) or are unable to express emotion at lower pitches then you should give up and start a nu-metal band.

Archived