Is it harder for you to....

STGtr

• Members

Is it harder for you to say what you are trying to say through lyrics or say what you are trying to say through your instrument? I seem to be able to do better with my guitar than trying to communicate with lyrics. I just can't seem to write good lyrics. What about you guys?

• Members

at first, decent lyrics were hard for me to come by- I was always searching for the perfect words and tying to cram lyrics into good riffs or dramatic chord changes. it really opened up for me as a vocalist when I focused on forming a clear thought: 'what is this about? what am I trying to say? what does this mean to me?' lyrics are alot easier to come by for me when I have a direction---otherwise, I can get bogged down by fansy wordsmanship and lose the focus alltogether.

also, if it feels unnatural to sing over any piece- I ditch it. it's better to have a clear direction vocally and build around it then have a vocal piece with a killer riff but no direction. besides, there's nothing wrong with surf instrumentals!

/johnny

• Members

yep, i know exactly what you mean. it's much easier for me to write music than it is for me to write lyrics. in the last 3 years i started writing and reading poetry and it's slowly... slowly... gotten me on the road to writing lyrics, but i still can't seem to fit them into songs. part of the problem is, like the other guy said - it's hard to sing over music i recorded a year ago or so... so i end up with 25 instrumentals and 9 long poems and no way to bring them together. and it doesn't help that i can't sing worth a damn. i'm just hoping i eventually find a singer who can sing over what i've written and let me help with the lyrics now and then - right now i think that's the best i can hope for.

Archived