vocal melody

starr

• Members

i am having trouble getting a vocal melody for my music

it is kind of like becks music on wired and i cant seem to put lyrics to it, i cant figure out how to put a melody

is there anyt exercises or tricks you guys use to get a vocal melody

thanks

i would post the song but i have no web page to post and cant attach it is to big of a file

• Members

You don't say if you're also a singer or not. In my experience, it's really important even for non-singers to sing through their melodies - it's the only way you can figure out if it feels good when it's sung. I have a guitar player friend who writes a lot of "songs" and tries to find singers to sing them, but he can't because they're all guitar melodies. I am one of the worst singers around, but I realize that I have to sing when I write songs, otherwise it's just not going to work... So I make myself do it, even though I hate listening to myself singing.

Lars

• Members

The recording idea is the best one. It gives you plenty of room to experiment with different ideas.

Remember that with vocal melodies, it's generally best to keep them simple, without big melodic leaps or chromatic intervals. Pick up any classical piece with the direction 'cantabile' (songful) and listen to the melodic line. It will be smooth, lyrical and without any large fluctuations.

So when trying to find a vocal melody when listening to the recording, SING, don't play. You don't have to have any words, just hum if you want.

• Members

Singers who have inspired me to sing are: Perry Farrell, Liam Gallagher, PJ Harvey, and thats about all. I have only recently begun to listen to singers and pay attention to different vocal styles. For most of my life I have only paid attention to the guitar and what the guitar is doing in a song. I never really thought about singing until I started listening to Jane's Addiction. His vocal melodies are the backbone of every Jane's song. Alot of the time he isn't even singing words, he is just yelping and making melodies through tons of echo and delay.

Archived