Problems with new Peavey Classic 50

Little Guitars

• Members

I just got a new Classic 50 last week and today was the first chance I've had to really turn it up. Well, I'm picking up a radio station, or something. It's kinda faint, but I can still hear it. Also, the amp seems to be lacking any real "life" to it. I remember the one I played at Guitar Center sounding better, or maybe it was just turned up even louder. I don't know. Either way, what could be causing the radio interference? Also, it sounds like dog{censored} with my Fulldrive 2 through the lead channel. When i hit the boost on the Fulldrive, it gets very noisey. I'm sorta at a loss here, because I really want to like this amp. It sounded great when I played on a few weeks ago at GC and now it's not sounding "right" to me. BTW, I bought this one from American Musical.

• Members

could be a tube problem. If you are fairly close to a radio tower, that could be the problem. i do know that wahs are notoriouse for picking up the radio. Is your fulltone just an OD pedal or full on distortion pedal. if it's just OD then running it into your lead is fine. if it's a distortion pedal, its a no no, run it through your clean channel.

There's lots of things to look for. Even if it's a tube problem, it will be a fairly cheap fix.

• Members

Tubes will do that. Here are some options:

-Try a different circuit in your house to plug into.

-Check the tubes and see if they are pushed in all the way

-Retube

-Return it

-Try a new Cable

-Try a different guitar

If none of that works go to a different location, a friends house or something, and plug it in there. If that isn't any good send the thing back.

As for the life... sometimes these amps aren't biased right leaving the factory. Go to a Peavey tech in town and see if he'll bias for free.

Archived