Help me with time sigs

JCHCJams

• Members

Basically, time signatures tell us how many beats are in a bar, and the length of those beats. For instance 3/4 tells us there are 3 quarter notes (that's where the 4 comes from) per single bar.

However I'm not really sure what you want explained. Ask and ye shall receive.

• Members

The top number tells:

How many beats per measure.

The bottom number tells:

What note gets the beat.

If we're in 6/8 time, there are six beats per measure, and the eighth note gets the beat.( Do not assume the quarter note alway gets the beat.)

If the bottom number is 4, quarter note gets the beat.

8-eigth note gets the beat.

16- sixteenth note gets the beat.

95% of music is written in a simple type meter; say 4/4 or 3/4.

• Members

If you're asking what different time signatures sound/feel like -

4/4 - an average rock, pop, or disco beat. ONE, two, three, four.

2/4 - sounds like 'I Want You To Want Me' by Cheap Trick or "Down At The Twist And Shout' by Mary Chapin Carpenter. ONE, two, ONE, two.

3/4 - sounds like a waltz or some slow gospel songs. 'The Man On The Flying Trapeze', ' Memories' from Cats, or 'You Must Not Be Drinking Enough' from Don Henley. ONE, two, three, ONE, two, three.

6/8 - sounds like a jig. 'The Irish Washerwoman', 'The Mexican Hat Dance'. ONE, two, three, FOUR, five, six.

• Members

Originally posted by JCHCJams

can someone explain time signatures to me a little?

got a book or something I could read?

Peace,

SLushie

time sigs have a top and bottom number (e.g. 4/4; 12/8).

The bottom number represents a type of note. For instance, a quater note/8th note (also known as crotchets/quavers). If you don't know what these are, do a web search, there will be loads of explanations.

The top number represents how many of the bottom notes there are in a bar/measure/repetition. Thus, 4/4 means that there are 4 quarter notes per bar (you would count '1 2 3 4/ 1 2 3 4') most songs are in this time sig.

Common time sigs are 4/4, 2/4, 3/4, 6/8 and 12/8

More odd ones are 5/4, 7/8, 9/8 and so on.

• Members

Originally posted by Six String Stuntman Steve

Fingerpicker, I conpletely understand the concept and usage of time sigs....but you explanation is a wee bit difficult to understand. I was just curious about the true technical explanation behind it all.

-Nigel

I think what Fingerpicker is getting at is this:

In Time Sigs of the type x/4, we count 1, 2, 3, 4.

In TIme Sigs of the type x/8, we count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

In Time Sigs of the type x/16, we count 1, 2, 3, 4, ...., 15, 16.

After that, then we have to look at which beats get the accent. For instance in 4/4, the strong accent is on 1, the medium accent is on 3, and no accents on 2 and 4.

• Members

Originally posted by Anomandaris

I think what Fingerpicker is getting at is this:

In Time Sigs of the type x/4, we count 1, 2, 3, 4.

In TIme Sigs of the type x/8, we count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

In Time Sigs of the type x/16, we count 1, 2, 3, 4, ...., 15, 16.

After that, then we have to look at which beats get the accent. For instance in 4/4, the strong accent is on 1, the medium accent is on 3, and no accents on 2 and 4.

Actually, it's just the opposite of this.

4/x means 1 2 3 4

5/x means 1 2 3 4 5

8/x means 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The bottom number, like what was said before, tells what note gets the count.

x/1 means a whole note

x/2 is a half note

x/4 is a quarter note

x/8 is an eighth note

x/16 is a sixteenth note

• Members

A very useful trick to getting into the groove of different time-sigs is to repeat a word with equal amount of "beats" corresponding to the desired time-signature until you get it under your skin.

E.G.

"Stra-to-cas-ter, Strat-o-cas-ter, Stra-to-cas-ter, Stra-to-cas-ter" Is your average 4/4 time-signature.

Quiz:

"'har-mo-ny-cen-tral, har-mo-ny-cen-tral, har-mo-ny-cen-tral, har-mo-ny-cen-tral".

Which time-signature do you think that is?

• Members

Originally posted by AS200

A very useful trick to getting into the groove of different time-sigs is to repeat a word with equal amount of "beats" corresponding to the desired time-signature until you get it under your skin.

E.G.

"Stra-to-cas-ter, Strat-o-cas-ter, Stra-to-cas-ter, Stra-to-cas-ter" Is your average 4/4 time-signature.

Quiz:

"'har-mo-ny-cen-tral, har-mo-ny-cen-tral, har-mo-ny-cen-tral, har-mo-ny-cen-tral".

Which time-signature do you think that is?

It's five!!!!! I find for fives hip-po-pot-a-mus works great. Either that or u-ni-ver-si-ty.

• Members

Originally posted by sevenroy

One good way to look at time signatures is to split them up into parts of 2 and 3.

For example, look at 4/4 as one-two-one-two.

or 6/4 as one-two-three-one-two-three

So what do you think you'd do for 5/4?

Technically, that's incorrect. If 4/4 was one-two-one-two, then it would just be 2/4. 4/4 has the strong accent on the first beat, and a slightly weaker accent on the third beat. 6/4 follows a similar pattern.

• Members

so on 5/4 would the last beats go closer together?

like:

hip--po--pot-a-mus

One, Two, ThreFourFive

download "Take Five" by Dave Brubek (or Brubec?)

awesome jazz song in 5/4 time sig. really sounds cool

• Members

Originally posted by Anomandaris

Technically, that's incorrect. If 4/4 was one-two-one-two, then it would just be 2/4. 4/4 has the strong accent on the first beat, and a slightly weaker accent on the third beat. 6/4 follows a similar pattern.

I agree with you, but if you look at the basic rythym, not worrying about the emphases, it is 1 2 1 2.

Also, the first beat doesn't always have to be the strongest. It's the basic guidline, but it's not really a rule. You could make 2 the strong beat, or even 1 and 4.

I love syncopation.

• Members

Originally posted by sevenroy

I agree with you, but if you look at the basic rythym, not worrying about the emphases, it is 1 2 1 2.

Yea, I suppose so. But only if you don't distinguish between the two accents, just note that they are there. However, I still think that this is a falsehood many people believe, because of the dominance of rock music in Western culture.

Also, the first beat doesn't always have to be the strongest. It's the basic guidline, but it's not really a rule. You could make 2 the strong beat, or even 1 and 4.

True. But when you talk about syncopation, you are disturbing the 'purity' of the time signature. 4/4 in its natural form does not have a strong beat on 2. You need to alter it with something else.

But yea, syncopation is an awesome thing to use. And most underused as well, I think.

• Members

so on 5/4 would the last beats go closer together?

like:

hip--po--pot-a-mus

One, Two, ThreFourFive

Actually, if you are doing it this way, it is really in 7/8 (or 7/4 i can never figure out which one is which)

I say this because hip and po are gettin 2 beats while pot a mus are each getting 1 beat

hi po pot a mus

1-2-1-2-1- 1 -1

:)

• Members

OK I get the basics of top number is the number of beats, bottom number is what is considered a beat. But with no organized music instruction, it's difficult for me to apply anything other than 4/4.

So i think i need a Drum instruction book with a cd....or a teacher.

Archived