Copywrite question

bigMIke

• Members

So, let's say I write an amazing song. If I want to record a demo of it and publish it, how do I ensure that it does not get ripped by someone else, who then make it succesfull? How do I protect my work?

• Members

Originally posted by bigMIke

So, let's say I write an amazing song. If I want to record a demo of it and publish it, how do I ensure that it does not get ripped by someone else, who then make it succesfull? How do I protect my work?

go to us copyright office on line

download form pa

complete and send with tape and

$30.00 to copyright office

your covered

carl carter

• Members

I think there is a problem here. BigMike is from Norway, Carl is from the U.S. and I'm from Australia. However the way I say it is that you send your art to the copyrighter, and they produce the necessary documentation. If someone copies your work, you can sue.

• Members

Originally posted by bigMIke

Well, what are they going to do with it?

Technically speaking, the minute you've written something original, you own the copyright. When you legally register your copyright with the US Copyright office, you're making an official record that proves you own that copyright. It's proof that will stand up in a court of law that says you wrote the song, and when you wrote it.

• Members

Originally posted by Anomandaris

Wow. An American that realises there are other countries on the planet
:D

the only borders I'm aware of sells

books.........everything else is a construct

built to to play with your mind..........

think outside the bun

(yikes!, what a god-awful example that is)

carl carter

• Members

International Copyrights are even more confusing than American copyright law. You really need to consult a music attorney in your respective country. There is an international copyright treaty known as the Berne Treaty, but I can't honestly tell you how it works. For Americans, their publishers usually have to enter a sub-publishing deal with a music publisher in each country they want to collect royalties in. The only thing I can tell you about it for certain is that the royalty payments are sporadic and never on time by anyone's schedule. Good luck, sorry I can't offer beter information.

Archived