tenacious d

• Members

imho, i can't stand tenacious d. i love jack black in his movies, but the d just irritates me. i guess i love music too much to see it in my mind "wasted" on jokes and comedy routines...i see music as having so much more potential, that to use it for that just disgusts me. just my opinion though

• Members

Originally posted by incubass

imho, i can't stand tenacious d. i love jack black in his movies, but the d just irritates me. i guess i love music too much to see it in my mind "wasted" on jokes and comedy routines...i see music as having so much more potential, that to use it for that just disgusts me. just my opinion though

Gosh, I'd hate to live in your world.

• Members

I feel that way about a lot of music (think barbie girl et al) but not Ten D. I really can't explain the difference though.

• Members

That's like saying language should only be used to discuss serious intellectual matters, because entertainment is a waste of a language's potential.

• Members

Originally posted by SomeGuyNamedRob

That's like saying language should only be used to discuss serious intellectual matters, because entertainment is a waste of a language's potential.

Wrong, all he said was he feels that way, get off his back. People feel different ways, some people don't like music about death and the rest, some do.

• Members

Originally posted by Ruler2188

I feel that way about a lot of music (think barbie girl et al) but not Ten D. I really can't explain the difference though.

The difference is simple. The D are actually talented musicians. If you have ever seen them play you know that Kyle can play and sing really well. Although Jack sometimes sings a little over the top that's simply his style, he does have a great voice.

If none of you have seen the HBO series with Tenacious D it's something you must check out. Half of the songs on the CD are directly from the show and really make sense once you've seen the show. For ex: there is an entire episode that leads up to the song "Lee" fully explaining who Lee is and how they came to know him. Personally i don't see how anyone would not like them, but hey, that's me.

Also, check out the movie High Fidelity w/ John Cusack. Jack does a killer version of "Let's get it on" at the end.

• Members

Originally posted by SomeGuyNamedRob

And my opinion about holding music in some sacred way is that it's a fairly narrow way of looking at things. What's the problem?

No prob, just let him enjoy music the way he wants to, to each his own, but don't bash him for it(not that you did)

• Members

No prob, just let him enjoy music the way he wants to, to each his own, but don't bash him for it(not that you did)

No one bashed! They just brought up the obvious...

If the guy really feels that way, he probably could use some "constructive criticism".

Or serious therapy...

:D

• Members

I replied saying you were wrong because this is what was said:

"i guess i love music too much to see it in my mind "wasted" on jokes and comedy routines...i see music as having so much more potential"

Your response was:

"That's like saying language should only be used to discuss serious intellectual matters, because entertainment is a waste of a language's potential."

He clearly said that was his opinion, in his mind. You took his statement and made it into a generalization by saying basically we don't have the right to choose for ourselves what music means to us. To him, maybe he only wants to discuss intellectual matters, thats his right.

• Members

i see that my thoughts were taken pretty seriously. all i was really saying was that i think intelligent music should have intelligent lyrics...i like the d's music and so i think it sucks they use all that great music to express such seemingly petty things...i say this because i had alot of friends in high school who loved tenacious d simply for the lyrics and how "bad" it was and didn't pay any attention to the pretty impressive music that was being played...i listen to music that i relate to, as i think everyone does, i very rarely have times that i relate to the d's music. if i want to laugh i watch a comedy, to me music is a different outlet, its alot deeper than jokes and such. i'm not like a dark depressed angst-ridden person, but i guess i just look at music differently, although i don't see my view as narrow. to accept all sorts of music save one certain style (comedy) as narrow is i think a narrow way to define narrow. i probably do need constructive criticism, but more about my playing than my opinions on music!!

cheers

• Members

Well. if you put it that way, then...:D

Nobody thinks you are WRONG.

Personally, I feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy comedic music

That would mean you would miss out on important aspects of bands like -

Frank Zappa, The Beatles, The Kinks, The Who, Captain Beefheart, The Hampton Grease Band, De La Soul, Ween, XTC, Queens of the Stone Age, Digital Underground, Van Halen, Wilco, Primus, The Meters, Queen, Snoop Dog, Pink Floyd, Weird AL, Weezer, the list is endless.

Even alot of today's "cool-dark bands" use alot of subtle (or not so subtle) comedy in their work. Tool, System of a Down, etc.

Not to mention classical composers who have been weaving comedic themes in operas for centuries and what about musicals? Not deep enough for you?

Your view of music is not "narrow", just seriously lacking.

I think (and that's always one helluva way to start a sentence) that you probably don't appreciate the "sophomoric" quality of Tenacious D's humor. And it pisses you off that a bunch of meatheads think that the D is "the {censored}" because they tell fart and dick jokes, not because of their inventive music. Which I understand.

Like Adam Sandler movies??? I used to hate how all these brainless fools would sit around and quote those lines all day.

But then I realized that , "hey, this {censored} IS actually funny" and if people laugh, and that makes ME angry then I am the one losing out.

Fart and Dick jokes ARE the most base and crudest form of comedic humor...but would you rather be this guy...:rolleyes:

or this guy...:D ?

Sorry for the rant. And please feel free to rip me to shreds.

• Members

good post man,that made alot of sense. I guess i'm more accepting of comedic themes with music than i thought, cause i like alot of the music you listed. i think you nailed it with the whole sophmoric humor thing. and yeah i do like some adam sandler movies...although i'm more of a david spade fan myself...but anyways i guess sometimes i don't mind being :rolleyes: but i do try to be :D when i can

• Members

Originally posted by electricmel

Well. if you put it that way, then...

Nobody thinks you are WRONG.

Personally, I feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy comedic music

That would mean

etc....

.but would you rather be this guy...
:rolleyes:
or this guy...
?

Sorry for the rant. And please feel free to rip me to shreds.

Nice post, I agree. Nothing more to say. I love bands like Primus, SOAD, Type-O, Tool, etc.... But hate Aqua, and those "funny-type" song bands... go figure....

• Members

Nice post, I agree. Nothing more to say. I love bands like Primus, SOAD, Type-O, Tool, etc.... But hate Aqua, and those "funny-type" song bands... go figure....

me too. to each his own..

• Members

Just because something is funny doesn't mean it is not 'intelligent'...

I can't give any names at this moment, but I know that there are bands who write 'comedy' music. Now I'm sure you will all agree that you can write extremely funny music, that is also very thought provoking and well crafted.

For instance, Ali G. Ok, so it's not music, but... The humour is crude and stupid. But the whole point of his act is to make fun of white people who adopt a traditionally black person's culture. And the way he does this is very intelligent, and very funny.

Archived