50% block?!?

frogmanstar

• Members

Sorry, I know threads about writers' block pop up every few days, but...

Right now, I'm fine at writing music. I pick up the guitar, or bash on the keyboard, and decent, original, tunes come out. Then I try and write lyrics for them. I sit staring at a blank piece of paper for a while, then write two lines that don't scan and have some pathetic rhyme. Then give up.

A few weeks ago, the words were flowing out, but the only music I could think of was tired and cliched C-D-G progressions.

Does anyone else get half block? What do you do? Run with it and write the music while you can, or do your best to force lyrics out anyway?

• Members

Originally posted by frogmanstar

Sorry, I know threads about writers' block pop up every few days, but...

Right now, I'm fine at writing music. I pick up the guitar, or bash on the keyboard, and decent, original, tunes come out. Then I try and write lyrics for them. I sit staring at a blank piece of paper for a while, then write two lines that don't scan and have some pathetic rhyme. Then give up.

A few weeks ago, the words were flowing out, but the only music I could think of was tired and cliched C-D-G progressions.

Does anyone else get half block? What do you do? Run with it and write the music while you can, or do your best to force lyrics out anyway?

I do neither. I do something non musical for a day or so and let my mind reset.

• Members

I have been struggling to come up with two more songs to finish a cd's worth of music. I am laying in bed trying to come up with something original and still commercial enough for the masses, which is what this CD is for.

I agree with the previous post of just give your brain a rest from songwrtiting. Wait a day or two and (try) not to think about it unless inspiration hits you. You should work more efficiently with a "fresh slate"

Vinny

• Members

If I've got the music, I put it on cassette, 'cause that's what's in my car, and I listen to it over, and over, and over like some obsessed madman until I find a good melody. Then I hum the phrasing or cadence. By now I've usually got some kind of lyrical hook line going, and then the rest of the lyrics.

If the lyrics come first, I speak them until I find their natural cadence or phrasing, and work on finding a good, supportive (sometimes alternate) chord progression.

Archived