OT. Any Galactic fans here?

shredbadtone

• Members

I'm a huge Jimmy Herring fan so that will be a treat to hear for sure. The highlight for me was the three drummers in Allmans going off with Oteil which seemed like forever (Of course I was trippin) and Oteil was just laying it DOWN. We kind of got screwed over here in Omaha, I guess a lot of shows had Oteil and peacemakers, DTb and then the Allmans. I would have paid 75 dollars to see that show.

Again thanks for the link to archive man! I am listening to the 10k show as we speak, it's like I am right back there, It was kind of a quiet show as far as the crowd goes and I can hear myself going woooooooooooooooo!!!!! and all sorts of {censored} thru this whole show. I was going ape{censored} with my buddy we were dancin and singin and just havin a blast.

That's what I like to hear. I think this summer the shows were mostly w/ Drive By Trucks/North MS Allstars/Ratdog and last summer had dtb, Mule, and OPM as openers and I was lucky enough to catch several ABB shows last year with dtb and Mule openers.

And Oteil is a monster. If you get a chance, listen to the bass solo on the Warren Haynes Benefit Concert Vol. 2 CD - Aquarium Rescue Unit - Elevator to the Moon...also some great Herring stuff as well as Herring with Warren in the Allmans.

• Members

That's what I like to hear. I think this summer the shows were mostly w/ Drive By Trucks/North MS Allstars/Ratdog and last summer had dtb, Mule, and OPM as openers and I was lucky enough to catch several ABB shows last year with dtb and Mule openers.

And Oteil is a monster. If you get a chance, listen to the bass solo on the Warren Haynes Benefit Concert Vol. 2 CD - Aquarium Rescue Unit - Elevator to the Moon...also some great Herring stuff as well as Herring with Warren in the Allmans.

thats what I love so much about these guys and the whole scene is there is way to much to discover all at once, you just gotta keep searchin you get some info. from somebody that points you in the direction of amazing music. All the shows are for the most part completely different and the sound is always evolving. People give the 'jam band' scene a bad rep because of the drug use and the hippies and stuff but the musicianship in these bands is beyond amazing. I like to think of it a lot like the hey days of jazz where everyone was playing together and lifting little things off each other. It really makes you feel like you're part of the community even if you aren't playing an instrument.

I might have to check out more of the archive site for some of those herring shows, it is kind of like sensory over load, so many shows, so little time!

• Members

Exactly. Couldn't have put it better. A lot of the musicianship is overlooked. There are a lot of "jam bands" that I do not enjoy/cannot get into. For the most part the "jam bands" I do love are the ones who take the jamming somewhere or to the next level..not just pointless noodling. The Allmans, Mule, and DTB fall under that...also having the aspect of a jam within a song, rather than just a jam...what makes them stick out is the fact that they also write good songs as well as explore new ground night after night.

• Members

dunno how big you are into Herring, but definately check out the Jazz is Dead cds along with Project Z....crazy space cadet stuff.

I am a huge Herring fan and always try to pick up as much {censored} as I can by him, dude is a {censored}ing master! It's amazing how much that dude can play and how well he does it. I have seen him play with so many different people and type of music and he always fits right in. He never blows over the top of anyone.

I agree to about these guys being able to write INCREDIBLE songs and even having some of the older jams be just as revelant today as they were yesterday. Its amazing how good some of the young talent in the genre is getting and stepping up to bat with some of the older musicians in the scene and not being to intimidated but keeping up and not just paying respect but actually adding a lot of the music. You get some of these guys up on stage with one of their idols and they don't know what to do they just stand up and half ass it.

It's great how a show can totally change your outlook on some bands tho, I saw umphreys and moe at 10k for the first time and while I don't get into the studio stuff as much their live show was great, especially umphreys because they really {censored} with the crowd and don't let you just drop into a groove and dance they always change it up on you.

I do like a lot of free music tho where they just step up and play, tho as an audience you have to prepare yourself for some trainwrecks. I usually just smoke weed at those shows because I took some mushrooms before a show and it the music wasn't happening, the groove kept getting lost and before long my mind was lost as well.

• Members
I saw their drummer Stanton Moore @ a small club here with his band - and he TORE it up
:thu:

Now I'm seeing Galactic in October
:D

Galactic is amazing live, I was completely blown away when I saw them. Really cool sound they got goin on.

I gotta check out the site and see how close they come to the 'ha, I might have to take a road trip :)

edit: Looks like I am heading to Fort Collins on the 22nd of October.....wooooooooooooo hoooooooooooo!

Archived