need help writing songs! please help!

scubyfan

• Members

hello there, people.

i am in dire need of some help here!

i can play almost every instrument, but i can't write songs! i can make awesome arrangements with other people's lyrics, but mine suck! all my songs end up being direct, as in, "when i saw you there, you shone like a brilliant diamond." it's crap! altho that wasn't a real song i've written, most end up sounding that way. how can i make my songs better? like floyd or vnv nation? the song can be about longing and sadness, yet be sung about a tempest or a druggie. i can't make the metaphors and stuff, which further ruins me!

in what ways can i be a better songwriter? i have listened to and still listed almost every kind of music. i analyze the lyrics and such, just cant make my own!

please help me, and if you can, tell me how you go about doing it so maybe i can change my techniques, etc.

thanks a million!

• Members

check out the "fighting songwriting" thread, and yeah, just read A LOT. but read QUALITY stuff--I recommend Rimbaud. also, listening to Bob Dylan is just about as good as reading--the guy is amazing. who else? Townes Van Zandt, Tom Waits, Lucinda Williams...

• Members

I would even go as far as to suggest reading some books on the subject of lyric writing. A thesauras and a rhyming dictionary may also help spark some fresh ideas. I have struggled the same as you being a good arranger but bad lyricist and these 2 books have given me hope. The first is "The business and craft of song writing" and the second is "writing better lyrics". I don't have the authors names handy but I think the titles are correct. Sometimes it helps to write out the lyrics of a song you really like and not just read them. Hope this helps.

Archived