on to make it interesting, basically strumming a guitar

and singing.

It's fun making music...

• Members

Originally posted by electricmel

HEY - start your own thread, pal!
:D

and you didn't even listen...

Actually, I did listen:cool: (You gonna listen to mine, PUNK!:D )

I agree with what Cool_E said. I think if you shortened it and made it more concentrated it would be much better. I really enjoyed it for the first minute or so, there's some great emotion, but also restraint (which is sorely missing in most of today's music).

At times it reminds me of a Renaissance fair, other times of an old RPG video game. Pastoral and quaint, but comforting and beautiful. Nice stuff, but maybe a bit long.

• Members

ummm...to tell you the truth i didn't like it. It has an older feeling to it, and i'm not into that kind of music. I would have to say though, if i was stoned the solo and "spaceyness" of the song would be sweeeeeet. So maybe next time I bust out the bong I'll let you know what I think again. I think if some of the echo was taken off the the vox it would sound better. Its hard to understand what your saying. not bad, could be better

• Members

So you loved it?

Look guys, throw "production quality" out of the window. I did it in my spare bdroom in my house w/ very limited resources. And I love the lo-fi world (Tall Dwarfs, Guided By Voices, Beechwood Sparks, Velvet Underground)

I don't care if you can't hear what I'm saying the first go round. The vox were heavily reverbed on purpose. Oooh, cryptic. ;)

And also the song IS a simple slow - builder. But that was what I was trying to capture. The emotion/power/feel of the song exists in the fact that it doesn't change too much. I had alot more guitar work on there but it sounded "repetitve" an unneccessary.

Think of this song as one of the sadder songs on Pet Sounds or Forever Changes or on the Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin. (I probably am barking up the wrong tree in those name checks) How about in a Pink Floyd - The Wall way or a minor key Hey Jude.

I have no problem writing long songs if thats where they go. So if you need to strap on a bong hit shoot some Tequila or snort some powder, go for it ya' big stud stud. (Didn't you say you listened to Radiohead???)

This one has gotten great response from everyone I'm surprised about the comments. I know the subtleties demand a listener's attention (and volume) and that's tough when you're just casually listening to an MP3. This one is killer live.

Did anyone notice the subtle key change? The background vox over the end?

• Members

I wouldn't say I loved it. But I did quite enjoy it. The key change is quite nicely done, I liked the inital brightness, followed by the sudden dark descent. The swift return to the placidity of the songs beginning is nice, and ushers back in that sweet sorrow.

The subtle piano, and the background vocals towards the end are nice, but for me they don't increase the tension enough to keep me thoroughly interested. I felt as if I was forcing myself to listen, rather than the song seducing me.

Maybe I don't appreciate it because I haven't listened to it for long enough. These sorts of pieces generally have a longer digestion time.

BTW, anyone have a listen to my little dabble?

• Members

Originally posted by Anomandaris

I wouldn't say I
loved
it.

I was joking.

It is an atmospheric slow song which might take a second to sink in to someone who listens to avant-garde classical music and death metal.:D

Your track is great in it's technical breadth but does not rouse any feelings other than "wow, that's complicated".

And it sounds extra silly in MIDI. I played it at my office and some folks got a kick out of it. They said it sounded like a Batman cartoon on speed.:D

I can't comment on the musical changes because they were "too darn fast" but they seemed minor key.

That's funny that you posted your MP3 with mine because you really couldn't find a better juxtaposition of "musical spirit".

• Members

Unfortunately I don't really have the capacity to record my music properly. I probably could if I went to the effort, but it's much easier to write the MIDI's.

I guess all MIDI's sound cartoony, just as a virtue of the sound quality. Though Batman on speed, that's a fairly interesting description. :D

I'm surprised you say that it's complicated. I think it's rather simple really. There's only three distinct ideas, everything else is built from them. It's supposed to be more 'tempestuous' and 'furious' and all that Beethovenian rage type of thing.

• Members

very cool stuff there

i'd have to agree that the voice is TOO reverbed, but i think you have a great voice......take any singing lesson?

another question...

what kind of gear are you using to lay down this recording ( voice processor, effects processor, etc ) ?

good job all otherwise :cool:

• Members

Thanks, Superman.

(I've always wanted to say that)

I used my Tascam 788 which I have set up in my spare bedroom.

For that day though, we pulled it into the living room.

I was having trouble figuring the machine out so I had a friend over who is a pretty prolific songwriter and we did a whole load of one take songs.

On Mother, I used :

An Alvarez acoustic plugged directly in.

A casio Keyboard.

An Ibanez electric plugged D.I.

A sure Beta 57 for vox

Everything was done one take and recorded dry- except for the guitar solo which was maybe 4 or 5 takes with a multi effects patch on it (Comp - Dist - Gate - Chorus - Rev).

This one was then proccessed through the 788 send effects. I used ALOT of reverb (no {censored}???) some phasing, chorusing and flanging on everything, especially the background vox.

Also, I am very happy you liked the vocal line! I am REALLY hyper-critical of my voice - I guess thats why I piled on the reverb. No lessons just alot of practice singing (with bands, stereo, shower...)

Archived