What makes a "Song"?

Mike_Hawk

• Members

is it just me or is this forum just a place for people to say, "check out my song" and only have the lyrics?

My view (right or wrong) is that a "song" is a few parts:

lyrics + music + melody = song

you can add or subtract elements but just lyrics is NOT a song, right?!?!?

Alot of time lyrics bythemselves can seem lame or stupid - but when accompanied by music they become powerful and meaninful....

what do you guys think?

I mean a guitar line byistelf is just music - but with lyrics or other instruments it is a song.... i think lyrics by themselves are pretty much just another form of poetry....

granted there are no hard and fast rules but......

anyway....what are your guys' thoughts?

• Members

keep in mind there are "songs" that people have recorded that is purely musical and no lyrics. for instance los siento by POD. it is still considered a song even tho it has no lyrics to it. and.. when someone says i have a new song, that usually means that they are planning on putting music to it. there is really no need to get technical in this forum, this is jsut for people to get some help, without having to worry about being insulted or worried about using the right terms. but good thread.

• Members

If you want to be absolutely precise and technical, than a song must have instrumental and vocal parts. Only instrumental is music, but accurately, it is not a song. Similarly, if you only have vocals, then it's a madrigal or chorale, or whatever.

The difference, how I see it, between poetry and singing, is that poetry contains only rhythm and in rigid structures. Singing involves melody (and also harmony if multiple performers) and freedom with rhythm.

But really, that's nit-picking. Call it a song, everyone knows what you mean. It's just more economical than saying 'piece of music'.

• Members

i think one of the reasons people only put lyrics out is that they don't have the technical equipment or knowledge to produce a recording at home. also, I've tried several times to listen to songs posted on the forum, but my memory is not sufficient on the computer, so all i get is little 15 second blurbs, then a long pause, then another 15 second blurb. its friggin irritating!

and, if you're LOOKING for music, i might as well try to get ya'll to listen to my songs on mp3, (music and words) and let me know what you think. how about giving "Max the Gravedigger" a little critique for me? the url is with my sig

• Members

Originally posted by Mike_Hawk

That post was mainly in response to the fact that every time I check out this forum you see everyone going, "rate my new song" or something like that and all they have is lyrics.

My posts have music!!!! ;) lol

Archived