More lyrics

Wastegate

• Members

This is a collaboration between myself and the singer.

Continue Down

Verse:

Wiser by years

Learned from my peers

I've got your ego in the palm of my hand

Pick it back up

To refill my cup

I still move forward while you just stand

I still move forward, I still move forward, I still move forward while you just stand

Pre-Chorus:

Any day any way anywhere but here

Any day any way anywhere but here

Chorus:

What are you afraid of?

Failure should make you work harder

What are you afraid of?

Fear should make you grow stronger

You speak so loud about the progress you've made

I watch from above as you continue down this path and fade.

Verse:

Wiser by years

Learned from my peers

Pick it back up

To refill my cup

I still move forward while you just stand

I've got your ego, I've got your ego,

Pre-Chorus:

Chorus:

Bridge:

Nothing you've done will put you in the spotlight again

Something done once should never be done again

Outro:

You've had your 15 minutes of fame as you continue down this path and fade

• Members

I like the subject matter. An idea that came immediately to me was substituting the word "falling" for "failure." Falling gives more of a visual.

Ditto for the line about "progress." Maybe some other visual or metaphor there. Maybe juxt-oppose something with falling, like "climbing" or "rising" or "flying".

Overall I like it. For me, the lyrics are just a little too "direct". Always try to find a metaphor or something that'll leave 'em with something to think about.

What kinda music do you have for it? I can hear all kinds of possibilities there.

• Members

Actually it IS a direct statement to someone who gave me "advice" while all he does is rewrite material he's done for the past 6 years.

The line "What are you afraid of? Failure just makes you work harder" was originally longer. It was a line I came up with at work but in song context didn't work. Originally it was "What are you afraid of? Failure's just a word that makes you work harder" and the same for the "fear" line.

The guy has a huge ego (hence the verse) but by rewriting stuff over and over I felt he was afraid to write new material. Afraid of failing in his new project.

As for the music it's a little odd at 1st. The verse riff is 4/4 but has a very odd time feel because it adds a note as it evolves. It's hard to explain but easy to understand once you hear it.

It looks like this: low E string tuned to C: 0 12 0 13 00 12 00 13 000 12 0 13 00 12 0 13 13 10

I hope that makes sense or at least gives you an idea of what I mean.

The music portion took quite a while to get down because of this but now it's one of our favorites. The pre-chorus drops down to clean guitar backed by me on a Roland HandSonic set to conga/bongo. The chorus kicks into overdrive with a heavy ass riff. The bridge slows it down with whole and 1/2 note chords. The outro is a play on the verse riff with the same rhythm chugged out on open strings.

The lyrics were kept simple in order to really drive the point home.

Archived