need some advice or tips!

bulldawgu812

• Members

Hello,

What I used to do was to record the music (usually just an acoustic guitar into a tape deck, but sometimes keyboards, drum machines, an entire arrangement) and then I would listen to the music constantly- a tape in my car, walkman, etc. (of course today it's mostly CD's burned on the computer....) and I would just eventually start marrying the lyrics and the music. Listening to the music/song structure WITHOUT lyrics really freed up my mind. I'd listen to it at night while driving, in the afternoon mowing the lawn, anywhere! eventually a "mood" would fit and the appropriate lyrical subject would be lurking about in my head as well. Also, try a collaborator! Invite a trusted musician friend over and just tell them to bring their acoustic. Open a six pack and bounce a few ideas off of them. My frinds and I have a sort of mutal help/honor code. All suggestions are public domain and the song is still the property of the originator.

Good luck-

Peace,

Bryan

• Members

Listening to the music/song structure WITHOUT lyrics really freed up my mind.

Do you know of any programs or any way you can listen to songs without the lyrics? I really want to be able to do that cause I play drums also and it would be easier to fig. out the stuff if there wasnt lyrics.

• Members

I was referring to creating ORIGINAL music and listening to it without lyrics/vocals-BUT, I think a professional audio editing package like SOUND FORGE offers a "center channel cancel" that will eliminate anything that is panned exactly dead center (usually the lead vocals) from a track extracted from a CD-

But I've got to be honest with you, I once learned 45 songs in two weeks from {censored}ty cassette tapes, some of which weren't the original artists, but tapes of the cover band performing live so I could hear how they modified/blended songs together-

Just get the basics down and get to rehearsal, the details will become celarer as you go-

Peace,

Bryan

Archived